Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

18" speaker for my rig - your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lazylion, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    I want to get an 18" speaker for my rig. Used a friend's Genz-Benz cab & it killed! But I need something I can lift by myself. Any thoughts on brand of speaker? Or brand of cab w/speaker weighing less than 75 lbs but still sounds good? I have no desire to give myself a permanent back problem! Would be open to making my own box if necessary. Thanks in advance.

2. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Why? I'm not trying to be an ass, really.
    Do you go through a PA for gigs? If so, you don't need one.
    What do you have for cabs right now? Again, you may not need one.

3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I see you play 15s already, you must really have a thing for low end.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    So did I at one point. I just knew I had to have one, so I bought an Eden 118. It was nice, but it did not add much to my overall sound really. You could feel the music more, but 15's sounded better. I got rid of it for a 215.

-Mike

5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    18s provide a big cushion of non-directional bass ... that "throb" can feel real nice. But they are also very dangerous in many rooms ... things can get boomy on you. But if you're carrying your own sound and playing a room that isn't boomy (or playing outdoors) and 18" cab can definately bring the beef.

SWR and Bag End make nice ones.

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'll recommend the Yamaha SW118 PA sub. Cheap, about 75 pounds (but gigantic), and it sounds pretty good, even as a standalone. I used my GK 200MB combo with a poweramp running 700 watts into that sub for a while - cool tone. Try it out.

7. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i love 18" speakers in bass rigs. it's a sound-type, like any other cab.
    i mix all types of bands in all types of venues for a living...it depends on your needs in the given band.
    maybe you like an extremely full range sound. or a low b, f#, c or d
    that you can feel a little. a single 12" cab won't do it.
    anyway, i would suggest an older swr big ben...try to find one with a bag-end speaker(they used to come stock with the bag end)
    very light, i used to have one and could pick it up with one hand. 400 watts continuous... had a better freq. response than alot of 15's.
    they're cheap used, too.
    here's some current manufacturers besides genz benz:
    1.big ben:
    http://www.swrsound.com/products/sea...tno=4470600000
    2.whappo grande:
    http://www.accugroove.com/
    3.ampeg classic svt 18:
    http://www.ampeg.com/
    4.eden d118xl:
    http://www.eden-electronics.com/products/cabs/index.asp
    5.quite a few by bag end:
    http://www.bagend.com/bagend/pro.htm
    forget about trends...use your ears
    doug

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    +1

I ran one of those with an EV loaded 4x12 cabinet in the 80s. Yamaha 1x18 PA subs KILL in a bass rig!

9. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    bag end S18D, I love mine for outdoor gigs and dead rooms! It's small enough and can handle a lot of power. The downside is in a live room it is super "boomy"

10. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

is EV. They will send cabinet plans. The designis cool in that the port has a removable/addable cover thatreally does affect the cabinet response.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

11. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    The best way to use these cabinets is to put them on permanent castors - big ones (mine were 3"). This will keep it from shaking wooden stages too much. Hell, even with the castors, mine used to make my drummer's floor tom glide across the drum riser when he didn't have carpet. You should very seriously consider this thing. Add a 1x12 or a 2x10 to it, and you've got yourself a massive sounding rig for little coin.

12. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Check out some of the neo subwoofer drivers from BMS - in 12, 15, and 18. The 12 sims out as an astounding low-freq component for a compact rig, and the 18 is a monster for its weight. Not every Neo out there is shy on the lower frequencies ; }

13. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Can you refresh me on what "BMS", I used to know, but it slipped my mind. Also, does any one have a like for these cabs?

Plus, all these 3 letter acronyms that we use for just about everything, are get hard for my mind to keep track of. :smug:

14. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
  15. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks for the link, good to know.

16. Lazylion

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    "I see you play 15s already, you must really have a thing for low end."

But of course! Don't we all? ;)
    Actually there are a couple of issues here for me.
    1. I play a 5-string, and for low E and below, my current rig just doesn't seem to have enough poop.
    2. My band has 2 lead guitar players, a keyboard/rhythm guitar, a steel/fiddle/mandolin/banjo/sax player, and bass & drums. So there's a lot of high and middle noise coming out. Best for me to not compete too much in that arena.
    3. We use in-ear monitors, which interfere big time with the way I hear my rig. So I thought feeling it might work.
    4. To be honest, I don't fully trust our soundman. He's a longtime bluegrass player, but we do mostly modern country with a dash of classic rock. In bluegrass the bass is, shall we say, subtle? :eyebrow: I've been told by several people, including a band member, and my brother, who is also a bassist and trained sound engineer, that the bass is too low. :bawl:
    So I figure the more I put out, the better. I know, soundman's nightmare. If I do get an 18", I'll try not to be stupid loud with it. But I still wanna rattle a few more sternums before I quit!
    I'm planning to use it with a Hartke 4x10 cab. And it's all gotta fit in my Mercury Sable wagon.

17. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i've played through SWR and Eden 18's and I've loved them both. The eden one is 74 lbs (i think) but was easy to lift/move... i wanted to get an eden 18 but was strongly discouraged because the sound develops more about 25 feet away or so (not the most scientific explanation, i know) and is harder to control than 10's... but oh, that sound... and you're right, feeling that sound is what it's all about

18. Lazylion

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    "i wanted to get an eden 18 but was strongly discouraged because the sound develops more about 25 feet away or so (not the most scientific explanation, i know)

That's an important point. I'm rarely ever standing more than 6 -8 feet from my rig, usually closer, and if it's all blowing by me, how am I gonna get my groove on?

"but oh, that sound... and you're right, feeling that sound is what it's all about"

10-4 good buddy!