18" speaker question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kingofrnr, Feb 10, 2005.

1. kingofrnr

Feb 6, 2005
    I have a SWR Workingmans 4004 amp and the SWR 4X10 cab. I added a sub woofer cab with a P Audio 18. The shop I bought it from recommended the P Audio over the Peavey Black Widow. Why? He said that if I were only using one cab, the Peavey would be a better all around speaker as it hits harder and has more punch. But since I have the 4 10's for the punch, the P Audio will deliver lower htz. resulting in a better all around sound. Does anybody have any experience testing between these speakers? I have a chance to buy a used Black Widow for under $100. Would it be worthwhile? Or do I already have the favorable combination? Thanks
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I loved my 15" BWs. I believe the BW is an excellent line from Peavey. Is it better than what you have? Not if you are totally happy with what you have now.

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

Yes. That would probably be a "go" on general principles. That's a pretty low risk for something that might end up working really well for you. And if it doesn't, you can always sell it on eBay. And maybe even make some money. :)
  4. AngryJason

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento CA
    For what it's worth, I'm running a 4004 through an old Cerwin-Vega 18" Folded Horn cab (4ohm), and it sounds fantastic. Suprisingly responsive and articulate highs and mids without any tweeter to speak of, and plenty of lows. Plenty :)
  5. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    If I'm reading it correctly the P Audio site describes their 18" driver as not producing really low bass rolling off at 63Hz with no mention of just how many -dB. You'd call that a woofer but not a subwoofer. Regardless of what you call it, if it gets the tone your looking for then that's all that matters. I'm guessing your 4-10", -3dB @ 50Hz goes lower than that 18" driver.

Use your own ears not ours or theirs.