18 v. 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by seamus, Mar 7, 2001.

1. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Aside from 10's, what's your favorite reinforcement driver for the lowend? and why?
  2. i like 15's because they make the bottom of my pant legs move. i haven't tried a 18. do they still make those. 15 also sounds warmer to my ears. not a huge fan of tens. played a freinds of mines harkes
    2 4/10's stack on top of each other. just couldn't get used to it.
  3. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I tried an Eden 2x12 and a 1x15 side by side at a Guitar center,some times the 12s seem deeper,sometimes the 15 did.I bought the 15 Cause it was lighter and cheaper and easier to add versatility to by later adding a 2x10.

But sadly,I don't still have it ,the head I bought with it took a dump so I took the whole rig back.Now I have a Sunn 4x10 and it does sound deeper than other cabs with 10s that I have tried.But I haven't gigged with it yet.

If that doesn't sound mixed up enough,I'll add that I would like to try an SWR or Bag End 1x18(same driver) with the 4x10...Bet that would rawk.

Almost every gig I play either lacks PA support,or they start me out in the PA,then they decide they don't have enough headroom and end up taking me out of the mix so they can crank the vocals more.Thats why an 18 would be nice,to push the bottom out there a little.
  4. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Was this posted before?

I expected more responses regarding preference here, oh well. :(
  5. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I use an 18 under my 410 cab. I really like the sound. Unfortunately Ampeg quit making 18's, I don't know why.
  6. unless I am going to play my Spector 5 string, I normally use just the 2x10 configuration in my my Hartke combo. But when a real big sound is needed the Hartke 1x15xl punches up the full deep low end to use that low B to it's full potential.

7. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I use 2 eden 410's and 2 Peavey 118's with 1000w JBL's. Wouldnt use anything else,
  8. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    That's cool, I'm about to trade up from a 15 to an 18 anyway and wondered what some people think.

In the past, I've seen more than a few bassists characterize 18's as muddy. I guess if you drove them too hard they could be, but I don't know I would go as far as to call them muddy.
  9. I run a 2X15 cab under my 410. I have been pondering going to a single 18". I also have fears that the 18 might not be as punchy.
  10. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Its all in how you set it up, my 18's can never be considered muddy. Its all in the set up.

11. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Lessee, the diameter of an 18 is three inches more than a 15. That means the circumference is, ah...is, ah.

Lessee, you determine the circumference by calculating Pi r squared.

Pi r squared....

Thass not right...Pi are round...

CAKE are squared! Sometimes. And brownies...

What were we talking about?
  12. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    :D Would you like to stand-in for me on my calculus exam on the 17th? :p
  13. I've always liked 15s. It's odd, but to me, 2 single
    15s each in their own cabinet always sounded better than one 2x15 cabinet. I like 18s, but, I feel
    they need a smaller speaker to "brighten" them up.
    I never owned one, but, does anyone remember
    about 15 years ago, I think it was Cerwin-Vega
    made a cab that was a reflected 18 with a forward
    facing 12. What a sound! As Mike Mulcahy said,
    "It's all in the set up."

One man's muddy sound is another man's warmth.

Mike J.
  14. Two single 15's would also be more portable than a 2X15. Definitely something to think about.
  15. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Thanks for the comments.

I'm going to have a 2x10 and an 18 going.

Guess later on I'd like to get a 4x10, but if I mix them well, the 2x10 should cut it for now.
  16. Seamus. My main rig for years was a Peavey MarkVIII 350 watt, Ampeg 2-10 cabinet on top of a Musicman front loaded 18'' reflex cabinet and I was able to get just about any sound I wanted out of that setup. In some rooms the 18 would boom a little but you could EQ most of it out. I still have that rig but I use my Cyclops on just about all my gigs now because its just a lot easier to set up. The 18 does give me a little more bottom. I guess to answer your question, I prefer an 18 over a 15. If the Cyclops had an 18 instead of a 15 I would like it even better even though I am more that satisfied with the Carvin Cyclops the way it is.
  17. no no, you determine the AREA with Pi r squared. the procedure is - bake a pie with diameter 18 in, then stuff it into a square container, measure the length, width and height, and multiply them. then compare it to the results of a 15 inch pie and you'll have your answer. this is advanced math, it's ok if you don't understand.
  18. Nice choice. I have that kind of speaker set up and it works fantastic for me. However I still want a 4x10's cabinet, even though I don't need...
  19. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Ive played alot of different 18"s as well as 15". Ive always found the 18"s to be deeper, but none of them had the punch that the 15"s did. I prefer 15"s
  20. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    I think Warwick has an active 300W, 18' sub.
    anyone tried those?
    I'd really like to know if it's worth anything.
    an active 18' cab sounds like a much better idea than an 18' cab which feeds on your amp, that air pushing is gonna squeeze all the power from your amp and leave the 10's w/o juice.