18 "

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Samie, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I hate to carry my amp to the jazz joint every time we have a jam! Now I have been able to get an old bass amp to keep at the joint. Its an old 18" acoustic 150watt.

Here is the cuestion, Is there a way to get a defined sound on a 18", It is just for standars but I still live some definition for the solos.

Any tips?
  2. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I'm an acoustic 136 original owner, it's a 15" combo which lacks a midrange adjustment so it sorta has that early 70's tone with diminished booty.

Your unit might need to be reconed and or some transistor work. Thirty years is a more than fair service life and mine needs a little work, maybe yours does too. Qusetion is, is it worth it? Even in perfect working order it's still going to be an early solid state amp.
  3. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I have no intention of modifying the beast. It is not even mine, it belongs to the sax-player. He had rescued it from his touring days short-lived singin days back in the early 80's. It was left in his basement eversince along with the mixing board, speakers etc!! :eek:

I am just going to used it so I dont have to carry mine every time.

I have only played with it ones, great walking lows but you cant hear anything in the solos etc. I was just wondering if there is any eq settings or tips that I can use.

Still better than carring my amp. An asdown 310Combo- great baby!! which has as much lows as the 18" but with cristal-clear defition! amazing.
  4. jamminji

Mar 22, 2002
    Try adding a separate preamp to it, or use a good active bass with onboard EQ.