1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

180 degree turn for my design

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by instigata, Mar 23, 2006.

1. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    as you know, i'm looking to build my own bass.

i decided finally that headless and carbon fiber isn't what i want. i'm going to to go with a regular headstock and a wooden neck, a la STAMBAUGH CUSTOM.

i'm having chris glue me a body blank together and build me a neck.

this will be much cooler than graphite :) lol

just thought i'll tell ya. i know how much stambaugh is appreciated here.

2. The problem with wood is that overtime , it warps

and shrinks and expands and cracks , etc.

Think 10-20 years down the road....

I did some work with NASA and can tell you

first hand that no wood instrument can

withstand the conditions in space.

3. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    well, perhaps. but if i go graphite. i want quality. and i don't feel like shelling out that 570 bucks for a status neck.

when i can get a high quality wood one for 350 ish.

plus, i don't know how many times ill b in space. and this is a first project. one of many, hopefully.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Why in the hell would he need to take it into space? :eyebrow:

A well-made wooden neck is not going to be a problem for you 10-20 years down the road. Orchestral instruments are made of wood (and without the stiffening rods and truss rods that most modern basses have) and most last hundreds of years of regular playing.

5. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i'm pretty sure he was kidding around haha.

7. Man, why the hell not? Given the opportunity, could you imagine the media hype for being the first (bassist, bass player, guy that "blows bass",) in space??? Yowsa!:hyper:

Anyway, back to it; I saw your thread name and thought that you decided to go "southpaw"! That would be unique, too. Sounds like an interesting turn of events. Wanna see it! Thanks for keeping us up on it all!

8. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    oh you'll see it. who better to critique it than my talkbass buddies!

my guitar playing friends dont know poop :smug:

-pc

9. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Go ahead and play your bass in space. The fun part is...where will the speakers be? 0.o I mean, the bass will work up until the speaker needs to start pushing air...