1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale 1844 Moses Tewksbury

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by Provbass1, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Provbass1

Provbass1 Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Would look great under the Christmas tree!
    9 would need a very tall tree, though)

2. Provbass1

Apr 11, 2009
    Special New Years price!

3. Provbass1

Apr 11, 2009
    Happy new year bump!

4. Hard to watch a beautiful bass of this quality just sit in the window. I owned a Tewks and it was lovely. I never took it out of the bag without someone commenting on how incredible it was. There are some Prescotts out there languishing on the market as well. Not really sure why? They are unique and have a character that is truly American. In this divisive time we can all agree that yankee basses are simply stellar.

groooooove likes this.
  5. Provbass1

Apr 11, 2009
    Thanks, Jason
    No, I would keep her if I were bigger.
    Just sounds and plays great.
    If I had a job where I could leave her, would have worked, but since I freelance...

6. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    not to have a chat on someone's sale thread but i couldn't agree more.

i have not played this bass, but i've seen large prescott basses very similar and i know the commanding tone they have can grab you and not let you go.

there is no "better" bass than this.... I wish i could invest in it myself.

i have a feeling this one has sat because it is en vogue to have a smaller string length and easy access to the high register. I have a feeling, as things go, that in a number of years we will see that pendulum swing back and a magnificent yankee bass like this will become what everyone wants all over again. i do consider a bass like this a bargain at this price.

too bad i'm just a music teacher and can't justify a $40,000 bass!

I sincerely hope this gets a good home soon!

Provbass1 likes this.
  7. Provbass1

Apr 11, 2009
    Feel free to chat on this thread!
    I couldn’t agree more!
    If only I were taller.

8. It may be the Edgar effect. A lot of young players are coming out of schools with dots on their fingerboards these days and everyone seems to at least attempt playing a fiddle tune on the bass. This was almost unheard of ten years ago. Also it was still in vogue to play acoustically ten years ago with high action and I no longer think that is the trend. These trends are neither here nor there. Bass is bass and most of the time we are playing under the octave and trying to be supportive of whats going on above us. This bass does that perfectly. I remember mine had a organ-pedal-like quality that would lay down a huge foundation that everyone could feel. As players mature I feel like they use less notes and make those notes count. This bass can do it all.

BassJuju and groooooove like this.
  9. Provbass1

Apr 11, 2009
    I agree with all of this— fashion seems to be a brighter edgier sound at expense of fundamental
    All my basses are darker and fuller, apparently that is my taste
    No nasty (to my ear) French sound. Although I have heard one or two French basses that I liked, generally not

10. sidetrack....I do think that the best French basses sound glorious and the reputation of being nasal is somewhat overblown. Some of the newer makers are really impressive...

groooooove likes this.
  11. Provbass1

Apr 11, 2009
    Yes, I know a vuillame that is wonderful, but others, live up to stereotype.
    And sat next to a new Kolstein bass which was excellent last week.

12. I have never found any mojo to Kolstein's basses. I know that is vague and indefinable but that is my feeling. I only say this because I am obviously wrong, there are some excellent models out there. I am extremely impressed with Jean Auray and Laborie instruments. They both seem to be instruments that are only going to improve with age and end up being "old master" instruments in the future. I have played some stellar Claudot's and some others that slip my mind now. That said, they are not Yankee basses which have a clearly 'American' personality, big, brash, solid and proud.