1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale 1850 Smaller French Bass - Great for solo playing

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by AnneL, Nov 22, 2018.

1. AnneL

AnneL Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Price:
    Strings:
    I decided to part with French bass from 1850. With its full and even sound for both Classical and Jazz, the bass has served me well for the past 12 years. It’s been a hard decision to let go but my children have been taking over my time and I would rather much have an instrument around that I don’t have to worry about all that much.

With a considerably short scale (40 3/4” or 103.5cm) it is a perfect instrument for people with smaller hands. It is also a great solo instrument. The shoulders have been cut down, likely in the era of Édouard Nanny (early 20th century). It speaks easily in all registers and has the special sound of an upscale instrument.

As stated in an appraisal by Bill Merchant, Upstate NY, the bass “has a top of two pieces of medium grain spruce with gamba corners. The flat back is made of two pieces of clear maple. The rib wood matches the back’s and has no outside liners. There is a single inlaid purfling in both tables. The original clear maple neck has an ebony fingerboard. The tuning gears are the original individual French style made of brass with brass pegs. The finish is the original orange brown. The bass was skillfully cut down in the upper bout to make the upper register more accessible. The bass is in good condition. It was made in France circa 1850, maker unknown.”

This the bass comes with a pickup (David Gage – Realist, Wood), and a custom made Mooradian soft bag.

The estimated value of the instrument is between USD 25,000 and USD 30,000 according to two different luthiers (happy to provide contact info and appraisal) I’m willing to let go for USD 25,000 or closest best offer. The bass can be seen in Toronto.
    DSC_0118.JPG DSC_0119.JPG DSC_0120.JPG DSC_0121.JPG DSC_0125.JPG DSC_0126.JPG DSC_0127.JPG DSC_0128.JPG DSC_0131.JPG DSC_0132.JPG DSC_0133.JPG DSC_0136.JPG DSC_0137.JPG DSC_0140.JPG DSC_0141.JPG DSC_0115.JPG

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    77stingray and Reiska like this.
  2. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Vive la France!
    Merci.

3. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    Please do fix the spelling mistakes - there are others.

You mention a C extension but none is shown in the pictures.

Thank you.

-S-

4. AnneL

AnneL Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Hi Steve, something went wrong when copying the text. Thanks for letting me know. Anyways, I took the c-extension out for now. Have to look for it as it has never been installed.

5. AnneL

AnneL Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    HAHA. All the 'br's disappeared when I copied the luthier's quote into the description. Not sure how this happened. It should say "made of brass with brass pegs". Thanks for catching it!

Don Kasper likes this.
  6. neal davis

neal davis

Dec 29, 2006
    toronto canada
    Was this bass at Heinl in the last month? If so I believe I heard it being played after Troy was finished working on it. If it is it is a wonderful sounding instrument

7. AnneL

AnneL Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Yes, I had it there for a moment. But this was a couple years ago...