1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

For Sale 1850s Czech Flatback Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by cjac9, Nov 28, 2016.

1. cjac9

cjac9

Apr 21, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Price:
    $4999
    Strings:
    This is the bass of doom.

Tone. For. Days.

Thumpy, deep, manly, Chris Wood-like tone.

I call him "Smokey". He is a fully carved, Czech, flat-back bass with top hat tuners. He was built in the 1850s and somehow made his way to Dallas where he was a professional jazz bassist's gigging bass for his 40+ year career. I bought "Smokey" in 2005 and played him through college and on gigs but sadly, at this point, I don't play enough to keep this nice of an instrument around.

You will see that there are cracks but no need to worry. I had Frank from Violins Etc. in Austin go over every single one and make sure the repair work is solid. Those cracks are all professionally repaired with hide glue and ain't opening up anytime soon! This thing is a dreadnought in the truest sense of the word. The tailpiece and bridge are new.

Comes with the standard black Mooradian case. You know the one.

Images here:

1850s Czech Flatback Upright Bass

2. birgebass

birgebass

Nov 7, 2011
    Arkansas
    Im interested, would you be willing to meet somewhere like dallas? Im in little rock, ar

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021