Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1870's Bass? Or another "antiqued" new bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Nuno A., Sep 27, 2005.

1. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
  2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    It is possible that it is a newer instrument but difficult to tell without seeing the bass. My own instrument was advertised as a early 1900's Tyrolean instrument but I knew as soon as I saw it(in person) what it was. I bought it because it sounds awesome regardless of what it was marketed as.

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Hard to tell from the pics as usual. A few things are catch me eye. The Back looks new or re-finished and not a single scratch or crack. the ribs as well look like the back and both are varnished in 2 directions as if to look like it was touched up. But why would you touch up a Bass that needs no repairs. The top has no visible wear either but the center cross bar looks new. The Scroll looks virgin. The filled screw holes have no scars around them that they should have from older machines or plates. Looks faked again just like mine did.

2,600 Euros for a 135 year old Bass in mint condition. Driver!, to the Airport.. and step on it...lol.. Yea right.. Pop in a TV dinner instead and watch the late news.

This bass is in Austria, next door to Hungry. You can do the math!

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    nothing like a virgin scroll...

5. My 2 c worth

Any information on the history of the instrument would be interesting ... To me it looks as though it could have been re finished / varnished in say the last 10 - 20 years .. The base of the neck and the top of the back look as though they have been repaired as well as a small crack on the g side of the bass top. This could be in keeping with an old bass, at least from about 1920? I have a friend who had a similar looking bass from about that era.

Another thing thats interesting is that inside the bass seems fairly dark ...

The basic euro / Aus / Us Dollar converter I have it may be an ok buy if it sounds good that's all that count's in the end...

If at all possible I'd ask to play the instrument and have a valuation before final purchase.

6. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA

Color inside the Bass means nothing. My Hungarian was dark too. As soon as Arnold started the re-graudating, the wood inside the Top turned bleach white and with a fresh smell or pine. The back was dark inside too but one of the cross bars was lifted and you could see the stain running under the bar in spots. My Bass has cracks glued, the top taken off and on a few times and holed drilled and plugged in the Scroll and the Varnish gone over.. It is all in the process of making a Faked older instrument. Here is how my maybe10- 20 year old "19th century" Bass looked when I first got it; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/DoubleBasses/Mystery2/Mystery2.htm

The price is WAY too low for an older carved Bass in near mint condition.

7. Nuno A.

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    I called the seller, but he didnt speak English, Italian, French and Portuguese which are the languages i speak, my German is almost 0 so, i sent an email in english hoping that he would answer my questions, i really dont believe that the bass is that old,like Ken said once, only if he would live in a cave, and i guess theres no net on the caves........
    Anyway, ill post more if ill get more info about it,by the way, i guess i will buy this bass that i just found for sale in a small village here in Switzerland, the seller says is from the 1920's, all carved, ebony fingerboard and all cracks sealed, ill guess it wont need any repairs, although ill put an adjustable bridge and ill change the endpin, $2900, what all of you think?

8. Nuno A.

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    and 2 more...any ideas about origin, wood, age?
    thanks in advance

NUNO

9. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    We saw this bass a week ago or so.. What is it exactly that you are looking for?

10. Nuno A.

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    I would like to know if you have any ideas about the country of origin, i know its not easy just with these pics, some say german, some said czech, a guy told me it could be "home made" in Italy.
    well, if theres any clue by seeing the pictures, anyway, i like the bass, and for the$, i think its a good deal for a carved bass.
    thanks again

NUNO

11. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    If it sounds good, there shouldn't be any problem. My bass has a darkened interior as well. It has a few faked cracks as well. Honestly I don't understand why they don't just sell them for what they are. Almost every one I have played has been a good bass!