Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jul 1, 2005.

1. [​IMG]

What the hell did this dumba** do to his Zon??? Who in their right mind would wear a belt buckle when playing a $4500 instrument???

I think I'm, going to be sick...

2. that makes me sick
  3. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I just tossed up my Oreo Cookie Pie.
  4. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    That is...mest.
  5. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    hmm taht goes way beyond belt buckle rash... looks like it was intentionally massacred.
  6. That's wht I was thinking, but what the hell could've done this??? Did a wife get jealus, or what???

7. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    The damage looks superficial to me - IMO it doesn't look like abuse/buckle rash. Looks more like a textbook example of what extreme weather conditions can do to finishes on a bass.
  8. FederalFUNK

Jan 12, 2005
    looks like it was attacked with a flame thrower and the paint blistered... definately fire damage to me... what a shame
  9. I think that he painted it on and his bands name was Ashan or Ashah...

If you look REALLY hard you can sorta see it.

If you think of it this way it kinda eases the pain that someone would be so irresponsible and mess up something that cost more than my car...

BTW Im joking abut the whole painting it on thing, incase you cant tell.
  10. This is what happens when you leave your bass in the heat or especially in the cold!!! That would be my first guess!! A friend of mine left his 1965 Les Paul (backup to a 1963 Mustang!!) in the trailer after I TOLD him not to a couple months ago and BAM!! got the same thing but worse...the Paul cracked along the neck AND body every inch or so throughout the whole thing!! What a waste! he says he won't do anything about it but really what could he do??? FREE ADVICE....do NOT leave your axe in the car, on the back porch, in the trailer, or anywhere there will be changes in temperature (EXTREME OR NOT!!!) This may or may not happen to you. BUT, I learned the hard way myself when I left an 81 Ric in our bus 1 NIGHT during the winter of 82...I was sick!! I still got the Ric and it is playable but she is butt ugly now....

11. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    IMO that confirms DMB's suspicions that the damage isn't 'real'. Your mate's les paul had cracking all over you said, but this Zon's damage seems localised.

It simply can't be that paint wearing off.
  12. Actually, the cracking on my Ric is more or less localized on the body (much like this one).....I am not sure why the damage was not on the neck as well....but in the case of the Les Paul it was more or less from the headstock all the way down the neck and throughout the front and back of the body....keep in mind that I left mine for 1 night....my buddies Les Paul was in the trailer in the case for nearly a month!!! He never took it out, it was in there strictly as a backup....He only took it out of the case when he broke a string 1 night and that is when he noticed the damage...He was sick...Incidentally, he tuned it and played it for a set until he could change the string!!

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hey, you buy a bass to be played. Mine are all beat up, though not quite that bad. A couple of them are so beaten up I just stripped them and tung oiled them. Of course, none of mine are worth $4000. But check out Victor Wooten's main Fodera...that thing's a mess! Makes this Zon look new by comparison.
  14. lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Maybe the guy was in a "Creed" cover band and the wood coudn't take it anymore, so it started self-destroying from the inside out. :eyebrow:
  15. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Actually my first thought when I saw the pic was "What kind of moron airbrushes a lgo on the BACK of a bass???" :)
  16. XtromatriX

Dec 18, 2004
    My GOODNESS!!! That would have me in tears... :crying:
  17. I hope that it's not something done overtime. I could handle the guy being a dumbass and leaving it out in the heat/cold (even though it won't happen to me, not after seeing this :eek: ). But what if it's done OVER TIME? I mean, if that's the case this guy would have watched his bass tear itself apart and do nothing about it. Some people...
  18. Out of curiosity, I downloaded the pic into PhotoPaint to analyze it a little closer. I think I've got a handle on the origins of the damage...

I believe it's all heat related - probably from a localized fire. This pattern looks awfully close to what catalyzed poly finishes do when they are heated to the point of flashover without actually slipping into flame. I think the reason it didn't was that the body itself acted as a heat sink and drew the heat away from the area. The very top surface gave up but it didn't get too far down into the wood itself. So why was flame there in such a localized area? Hard to say but a bass on a stand next to a wastebasket on fire will match up pretty well to that height - it could have been something like that. Or maybe a lighter fluid prank gone wrong. Who knows. Either way, the damage is repairable since the wood underneath doesn't look to be hurt much, if at all.

But I would bet my grandmothers gravestone that it didn't happen because of common negligence like leaving the bass in the trunk on hot day or wearing your Pro Bull Riders belt buckle for 6 straight shows on a crowded stage. :D
  19. I didnt think it was possible to make a ric look uglier :bag:
  20. That guy must be crazy. Maybe he's one of those unworthy types that spend 4.5k on a bass because, get this, the way that it plays and sounds! :spit: So, the fool, watching how the most important part of a Zon, the finish of the back of the body, was disintegrating, thought to him or herself: "oh well, it still plays and sounds as good if not better than the day I bought it, so I won't lose any sleep over that". I just don't get it! :D :D :D :D