1895 eighth grade final (kinda long)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by linebacker51, Nov 14, 2002.

1. 8th Grade Final Exam: Salina, KS -1895
    Grammar (Time, one hour)

1. Give nine rules for the use of Capital Letters.
    2. Name the Parts of Speech and define those that have no Modifications.
    3. Define Verse, Stanza and Paragraph.
    4. What are the Principal Parts of a verb? Give Principal Parts of lie, lay and run.
    5. Define Case, Illustrate each Case.
    6. What is Punctuation? Give rules for principal marks of
    7 - 10. Write a composition of about 150 words and show therein that you understand the practical use of the rules of grammar.

Arithmetic (Time, 1.25 hours)

1. Name and define the Fundamental Rules of Arithmetic.
    2. A wagon box is 2 ft. deep, 10 feet long, and 3 ft. wide. How many bushels of wheat will it hold?
    3. If a load of wheat weighs 3942 lbs., what is it worth at
    50cts/bushel, deducting 1050 lbs. for tare?
    4. District No. 33 has a valuation of $35,000. What is the necessary levy to carry on a school seven months at $50 per month, and have $104 for incidentals?
    5. Find cost of 6720 lbs. coal at $6.00 per ton.
    6. Find the interest of $512.60 for 8 months and 18 days at 7percent.
    7. What is the cost of 40 boards 12 inches wide and 16 ft. long at $20 per metre?
    8. Find bank discount on $300 for 90 days (no grace) at 10 percent.
    9. What is the cost of a square farm at $15 per acre, the distance around which is 640 rods?
    10. Write a Bank Check, a Promissory Note, and a Receipt.

U.S. History (Time, 45 minutes)

1. Give the epochs into which U.S. History is divided.
    2. Give an account of the discovery of America by Columbus.
    3. Relate the causes and results of the Revolutionary War.
    4. Show the territorial growth of the United States.
    5. Tell what you can of the history of Kansas.
    6. Describe three of the most prominent battles of the Rebellion.
    7. Who were the following: Morse, Whitney, Fulton, Bell, Lincoln, Penn, and Howe?
    8. Name events connected with the following dates: 1607, 1620, 1800, 1849, 1865.

Orthography (Time, one hour)
    1. What is meant by the following: Alphabet, phonetic, orthography, etymology, syllabication?
    2. What are elementary sounds? How classified?
    3. What are the following, and give examples of each: Trigraph, subvocals, diphthong, cognate letters, linguals?
    4. Give four substitutes for caret 'u'.
    5. Give two rules for spelling words with final 'e.' Name two exceptions under each rule.
    6. Give two uses of silent letters in spelling. Illustrate each.
    7. Define the following prefixes and use in connection with a word: bi, dis, mis, pre, semi, post, non, inter, mono, sup.
    8. Mark diacritically and divide into syllables the following, and name the sign that indicates the sound: card, ball, mercy, sir, odd, cell, rise, blood, fare, last.
    9. Use the following correctly in sentences: cite, site, sight,fane, fain, feign, vane, vain, vein, raze, raise, rays.
    10. Write 10 words frequently mispronounced and indicate pronunciation by use of diacritical marks and by syllabication.

Geography (Time, one hour)
    1. What is climate? Upon what does climate depend?
    2. How do you account for the extremes of climate in Kansas?
    3. Of what use are rivers? Of what use is the ocean?
    4. Describe the mountains of North America.
    5. Name and describe the following: Monrovia, Odessa, Denver, Manitoba, Hecla, Yukon, St. Helena, Juan Fernandez, Aspinwall and Orinoco.
    6. Name and locate the principal trade centers of the U.S..
    7. Name all the republics of Europe and give the capital of each.
    8. Why is the Atlantic Coast colder than the Pacific in the same latitude?
    9. Describe the process by which the water of the ocean returns to the sources of rivers.
    10. Describe the movements of the earth. Give the inclination of theearth.

Also notice that the exam took six hours to complete.
    Gives the saying "he only had an 8th grade education" a whole new meaning, doesn't it?
    granted they had books to study these topics that we may not but still pretty tough
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Mmmm...the joys of our modern-day apathetic educational system...leniantly delicious.
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'd like to see that up against a current 8th grade test. I hear so often that we are being too difficult on kids, but I think our programs are not even close to aggressive enough.
  4. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    And for those of us not in the US, kids in the 8th grade are how old?
  5. 8th graders are 13-14 years old. Usually...
  6. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    looks too hard for me.. and im a 11th grader =X
    sad isn't it?
    oh well..thats probly why dave castello cant understand what i say... =(
    .. im the ozzy osbourne of talkbass(not by choice though)..
    *sings to my NEW guided by voices cd)

7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  8. I could've done it, but I wouldn't have done that well.

Also, a lot of the history questions were relatively recent, and the measurements are obsolete--we use metric a lot more than people might suspect, just because it's so much easier. ;)

The phonics stuff just isn't taught anymore. Shame.
  9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Am I the only one who thinks that looks like a pretty simple test? Six hours of testing is not something that is that hard and I've had that much testing in one day quite commonly.

Also those questions look fairly simple to me. Just because the information is generally different does not mean its harder. As a matter of fact I known I was doing more difficult stuff than that in 8th grade.
  10. If they just gave every 8th grade kid that test at the beginning of the year it would be hard, but if that's what you were learning for the whole year, then it wouldn't be tough at all. It also seems harder to us because a lot of the questions aren't relevant to most of us, eg. bushels of wheat.

Oh yeah btw, Question #10 under Arithmetic is the same kind of question they ask the kids who take Math 16 (the special math class for the really dumb kids) in grade 10 here...and no, I wasn't in that class :p.
  11. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Back then, kids had nothing better to do than study!!! No malls, no TV, no X-box, etc.

I agree that the test could be considered simple, if that's what was covered in 8th grade over the school year.

Not much critical thinking involved; more memorization. However, I think that's how 8th grade studies should be.
  12. yup, looked pretty easy to me. the grammar/punctuation questions were the stuff i learned in grade 5 up here in canada.
  13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Wow, and i was mad my parents made me take collage prep.
  14. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    But yet, in your "sentence", none of the things you learned were utilized.
  15. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    took the words out of my mouth!

but i think that now the educational system, particularly since the development of "middle" schools, has been injected with too much fluff.

my sixth and seventh grade classes kicked my ass. hard.

there, i learned how to study for different kinds of tests, and i would study moreso than i do now (and i'm taking the most difficult junior-year courses i possibly can).

also, i learned about 80 percent of what i know now of english grammar in seventh grade. and besides a refresher in sentence types last year, that was the only in-depth look at grammar i had! far too many of my peers know very, very little about grammar. i really wish that the english curriculum covered that material much more. the language must be preserved somehow.

the next three years (8, 9, 10) were just a waste of my time, essentially (save for math, which is cumulative).

btw-i'm familiar with this test. last year in my gifted studies class, our teacher made different groups of us "take" a different section. the vast majority didn't even make any attempt. (my group got the american history section. for the westward expansion, i wrote, "they went west. then more west. west some more. until they reached the pacific." :D ).

if the same standards a hundred years ago were impressed upon modern students, we'd have a much more agrarian society...
  16. Well, just to prove that I do not use proper grammar while talking on the internet, I will re-write my orginal statement:

'Yes, that test looks quite easy to me. The grammar and punctuation questions consisted of the materials I learned in grade 5 while taking language arts class in Canada.'

See, I know how to talk in true English.
  17. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I now feel like Sponge Bob's friend Patrick.
  19. I honestly hope that American 8th grade students today learn about more than just their home state and country.