18inch speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mat gregory, Jan 3, 2005.

1. what do these sound like?? and would building a 2x18 cab be worthwhile?? or would it sound pants.
  2. Some say 18's are too "slow" on transients...but I say bunk, if the cab is tuned correct, it'll be nice. A little too "round" for my taste, as 18's don't get alot of "sheen" in the tone, but hey...if you love dub it's your bag. :)

I'd much prefer a double 15 or a double 12 cab...but why not? I would just think the cab would be huge, and quite heavy.... get some Neo 18's, and pound it. :bassist:
  3. cool , i was thinking about in whacking a horn or tweeter to give some highs.the cab would be big but i have a bid dad to carry it.

4. I wouldn't go with a tweeter, as much as I would go with a smaller diameter driver to round out the upper register...like a 8 or 5 inch driver...but in any case, a properly designed crossover is in order for this...

ALSO, you could lookinto isobaric loading for a dual 18, which would significantly reduce the size of the cab.

Just a coupla thoughts.
  5. il bear that in mind , a 5in or 8in speaker wont take up much room i suppose , i could build 2 1x18 speaker cabs, or i was thinking a 2x10 and 1x15 in one cab lol
  6. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    i own a yamaha 1x18 with a swr 2x10, the 18 gives me all the lows i want, and its not muddy at all, i guess depends on how good the cab is the response you have.....

i dont feel it slow in any way,

im using it with the 2x10 so ill guess youll need something for the high`s
  7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    best sounding 18's for bass I ever heard were: EV 18, and a JBL E-151 ($$$$$) fast for the size, and nice upper mids. With the EV, you'd need a decent size cab but it goes up pretty high, a 5" or tweeter would make a nice big round 2 way system. Cabs that size though are a thing of the past for me!
  8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I used a custom built cab using to EV 18's back when I was in a thrash metal band. It was big and heavy but I loved it. It wasn't muddy at all. It did have a more "thick" tone to it. If I had the money to spare I would probably build me another one. Since I don't and I already have a killer 2x15, I guess it will have to wait. :(
  9. The JBL E155-8 is the 3rd highest BL:MMS ratio in my spread sheet. This translates to the 3rd strongest ratio of magnetic motor strength to cone mass. The higher the control, the faster the motor can accelerate and decelerate the cone.

Compare 18" BL:MMS with the (much higher) 10" drivers and the reason for 10" punch becomes obvious.
  10. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I like the 2241's, have used for years. They can take a pretty good beating and still bring the thunder.