18mm to 19mm

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BostonJazz72, Nov 21, 2020.

Tags:
  1. BostonJazz72

BostonJazz72

Nov 30, 2010
    Chicago
    All of my previous basses have been 18mm. I am just wondering if any of you have basses that have differennt spacing? Is it challenging going from one spacing to another?

2. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

It’s one wider...

I just think in P width VS J width.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    BostonJazz72 likes this.
  3. Lagado

Lagado Inactive

Jan 6, 2020
    I've always liked full width spacing, I've long fingers. The bass I prefer at the moment has 19mm clear between strings, so 20mm center to center roundabouts. I would have liked to have kept one of the three StingRay 5's I've owned, but not with that spacing, that's why I don't have one.

BostonJazz72 likes this.
  4. Lagado

Lagado Inactive

Jan 6, 2020
    It's something you need to try for yourself to see if it fits you ergonomically, there are plenty of musicians who are adept on bass and guitar plus other instruments like violin, which are very different spacings. It's how it feels to you. Does having a wider spacing help your thing.

5. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player

Jun 12, 2008
    19mm is the traditional spacing on Fender bass guitars, and is what all my 4-strings have had. When I started moving to 5 string, my first one had 16.5mm spacing, and I found that too tight for my big right (plucking) hand. All my 5ers now have 18mm spacing, which is close enough to 19mm (~5%) that I'm comfortable going back and forth. YMMV.

BostonJazz72 likes this.