1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

18's, what do you think of them?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by beatsbears, Feb 12, 2013.

1. beatsbears

beatsbears

Feb 22, 2011
    Portland, ME
    I'm looking to take my current set up to the next level, and add a cab to my 412 setup. I currently have an Emperor with a Mesa 400 driving it. I'd like to either add a matching 115, 212, or 118 to my rig. The 18 intrigues me greatly, but I have no experience with them. All 3 are fairly close in price so that isn't really a concern.

I may also want to use this new cab alone when a show doesn't call for a full stack, so how would an 18 do solo.

I know mixing driver sizes isn't recommended by many TBers, but i've seen it done by many to fine results, so that isn't really a concern either.

Thanks!

2. I would pick the 212, with twice the impedance of your 412. This would give you a 612 rig with equal power distribution.

3. This :bassist:

4. You'd need to really test out the 18 cab to see if it can keep up with the other drivers. The 18's tend to run out sooner than 212's. As for using the 18 solo - you'll just need to audition the cab. Can Emperor make a 212 for you ?

5. Larger speakers tend to project more. I used 18's once, and liked them for their thump and how well they could fill a larger room, but I could not hear them well on stage. If I turned up my amp so I could hear them, I was rattling the room. I think you will find that 1 18 won't sound "loud" to you, if you are close to the cabinet.

You may like the 2-12 more, if you are playing smaller rooms and with PA support.

6. +2 This is the only way to roll with your specified cabinet choices.

Better yet would be a second 4x12 identical to your first.

7. +1
    :D

8. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

Heavy

9. Single 18" stand alone is a bad idea is what my thinking is. The usable frequency response of a single 18" is too limited for instrument use. If you just want mud on and off stage add it to your existing cab (only good way to use it would be with a crossover).

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Agreed. Adding an 18 to a 412 seems like a wasted effort. What would you gain? Not extra lowend, if that's the thought. +1 to the above suggestions.

11. bertbass666

bertbass666

Mar 6, 2009
    Burk Shelly of Budgie used a Marshall major with 4 Vox Foundation 1 x 18s and they sounded like this . I like the sound of 18s, maybe you will too.

12. See that mic on the cab? You are not hearing him unfiltered.

13. Especially folded horn cabs.

Heavy? YES.

Impressive sound and tone? YES.

My fave is Sunn 1-18vh: Folded horn W/ Cerwin-Vega 18 @ 4 ohms. NOT A W-HORN: Look up google images.

I had no issues with hearing it onstage. Back of room heard it even better; probably gave some in audience digestive issues.

As for highs? Held a high D#[ 20th fret; G-string] on Rick 4001 as well as open E. Sustain to envy if needed.

Sometimes when we were told to turn down, I told club manager I would do one better and not only turn down, but face my cabinet backward into a corner..SUCKER... That folded horn cab enveloped the room, embracing the room with my bass, even turned down. Can't do that with a typical bass cab

I would love it if someone reissued this model.

Kustom,Fender, Peavey Vega and AcousticControl all made W-horns with 18's..all awesome cabinets as well.

Audio Physics pundits on these foums will disagree, but I sometimes enjoyed stacking a 4x12 guitar cab atop my Sunn cab, then you felt the 18 and heard the 12's. I mostly used the 1-18solo; always loved the tone.

14. oerk

oerk

Oct 16, 2009
    Bavaria
    No wonder. By doing this, you elongated the horn by the room walls (and floor). And probably pissed off the manager :D

15. I really like a biamped rig with an 18 handling everything below 125Hz and then either 10s or 12s with a tweeter handling the rest. Ideally, with 1 18 I'd rather have a 210 or 212. I'd also be happier if the 18 was handling only 80Hz and below, but I think 125 is a better crossover spot to my ears with most of the 18s I've heard (albeit only 4 cabs.)

If you aren't using a biamp rig with a crossover there's no reason to try an 18 and I wouldn't use one as a standalone cab because even the really good ones don't reproduce very well above, let's be generous and say, 1kHz. (That's more practical experience because some manufacturers quote much higher specs...)

16. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Get the single 18. Try it. Then please give us a real world review of it. You can always sell it if you don't like it.

17. bertbass666

bertbass666

Mar 6, 2009
    Seen Budgie a few times live and Burk's sound is even better without the mic.

18. This x 1000.

19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I like to run a 1x18 with a 2x10 (both 8 ohms) from an Ampeg bass head.

98mg0002.

20. kelleysdad

kelleysdad

Dec 12, 2007
    It depends on the speaker and cab. Some combinations can be tuned pretty low and that could sound very good if you Bi-Amp and use the cab with the 18" to carry the ultra low end and the 12s to carry 150Hz and up.