1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

18th Century Italian bass

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by Ben Joella, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Regrettably, I am parting with my personal instrument that helped me to win two professional orchestra auditions during the time that I was actively auditioning. The bass has your typical lush, spreading, complex Italian tone and is incredibly easy to play as well. It doesn't fight you anywhere on the bass.

The bass is a composite Italian instrument. By composite I mean that the top, back, and scroll are clearly 18th Century Italian. The neck and sides are of a later era. The bass is labeled Francesco Zani 1739. That date is consistent with details about Francesco Zani posted on the auction site Cremonae and shown in the attached image.

The bass has fresh varnish and a new fingerboard. It features a removable neck system and is being sold with a deluxe Mooradian bag and flight case. Basically it is ready to hit the audition trail if that is your aim. It is a perfect fit in a professional section and has a tone that is comparable with any other fine instrument. Additionally, the bass has a beautiful solo and chamber tone.

I am selling the bass at O'Hara Fine Instruments in Brewster, NY and asking $30,000. You can find pics and contact info here: Italian Composite

I am selling the bass to fund other projects, so unfortunately I cannot consider trades.

Thanks,
    Ben

ItalianComposite_front.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 3.31.49 PM.png

robinunit likes this.
  2. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    That is gorgeous! Good luck.

3. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    Wow. If she sounds as good as she looks....incredible.

4. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Beautiful instrument. Is she for sale directly to Talkbass members or only through the consignment arrangement?

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.