18v battery life

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by air_leech, Aug 8, 2001.

1. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Hello all fellow TBassers

I was wondering if the 18v preamps eat the batterys faster or they still use 9v current and thus making the batterys last longer?
  2. My guess is there's no difference in battery life between 18v and 9v; 18vs drain the same amount from each battery as 9v, but there is an aditional battery, so they take more power, while the battery still lasts as long.
  3. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Batteries last the same.

You could also set the batteries up in parallel - this would keep the voltage at 9 volts but give you more time between battery changes. Seems kind of silly to me, though. ;)
  4. wen1012

Jan 29, 2002
    Why my battery life so short ? I've replace a Barts 3 band preamp into my oid Cort Artistan 6 string (with original active pickup),and add preamp to 18v.It work very good at fisrt,but after a mounth,my batterys died !They even can't work in tuner.What problem with my bass ? Please help !! Thanks.
  5. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    Never leave an Active Bass plugged in when done playing your battery will drain quicker..
  6. Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    BassPro says it quick and simple; anytime you plug your 1/4" into the guitar, the battery becomes activated and whatever trickling voltage will drain away until you unplug.

BTW: I've put together a simple 1/4" tester for checking battery voltage without having to remove all the screws and take out your pick-guard. It's accurate within about .3 of a volt...

michael s.