Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

18V EMG Dual humbuckers vs. Dual Barts

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Jan 28, 2003.

1. I know EMG has that more of a, 'lighter' sound for slap. I mean I know it can get deep, but ya know. More suitable for slap/pop is what I hear.

I play metal/classical music.

Think swapping out the EMG's and dropping in a set of Barts would sound much better? I'd upgrade them to 18V if I can..dunno the statistics on that one.

Anyway, I don't exactly OWN the bass yet, but I have plans. And I talk with people who own one, yadda yadda yadda, so don't bother me with the "hear for yerself dude" stuff :D

Thanks guys

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    The Barts are passive. You won't need a battery for them.

As for which sounds better, that is a matter of personal preference. I myself like the Barts better. I think for your application of metal/classical that the Barts would serve you better IMHO.

3. So there's less tonal options for the Barts then, correct?

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    No, the Barts are quite versatile. You can still get different sounds by varying eq.

5. 0

That works out then, I don't want to worry about replacing the battery every few weeks.

Would I have to swap out the nobs on the bass?

6. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    ..depends if you want to change the pre-amp/tone controls of your current set-up.

If your just swapping the pups, you may be able to leave the pots/knobs alone.

You may need to change your output jack (active to passive..i.e.no battery connection.)

BTB

7. Alright, sounds cool with me. I'm not replacing the pups myself, so I can just tell the repairman at the music store to do that all for me :D