1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

18v into 9v OD Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Being and Bass, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    What experience do you all have with pushing OD pedals with extra voltage? I want to give my Canyon pedal even more headroom and have the power supply space, but also don't want to blow anything up.

2. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Don't do it unless the manufacturer specifically says that you can, for starters.

3. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    Oh, I probably wouldn't unless I knew someone had already tried it. But some pedals can do it, even when not specifically listed, and sound great.

4. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    You could probably confirm directly from EHX. @Corythosaurus is the rep, I believe.

5. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    18v doesn’t always make a circuit have more headroom unless it was specifically designed that way. For instance, the Dr. Scientist The Elements can do 9-18 and it doesn’t change anything in the headroom department at all. However, I’ve tried other ods or dirts that you could hear a dramatic change, but it’s not often.

6. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    It is the Hot Wax anyways so I am doubtful. But I REALLY want to try it. It might give me a reason to get a Darkglass Vintage.

7. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Yeah, it's the same with some Empress and some Broughton Audio pedals.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Generally speaking, electronic circuits DRAW power. Power isn't PUSHED into them. So the pedal will only take what it wants.

I think I did read that one of the high-end LPF/HPF/Pre pedals (maybe Broughton?) gained headroom from higher voltage to a point. But I don't think that is very common.

So while there may be some pedals that benefit from higher voltage, if I had to bet I would say the Crayon isn't one if them.

If you want it to have more headroom, I suggest boosting signal in front of it, not voltage.

Keep in mind that I do repair electronic equipment for a living, but I'm new to pedals. So there's a chance I'm FOS. :D

Nev375 and Being and Bass like this.
  9. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    Man, I teach Philosophy for a living. I appreciate the advice because the only thing I know about pedals is that knobs+bass=music.

mattbass6945 and two fingers like this.
  10. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    But does it really = music? Or could it just be sound? And if no one is there to hear it, is it sound at all? And did turning the knob really do anything to the sound, or did you tweak your perception of how it sounded?
    :D

Steve-Mo, Engle, mcnach and 8 others like this.
  11. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    Oh, let us be completely honest. I make rather barbaric noise that merely aspires to music.

Fuzzbass and Crowd crusher like this.
  12. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It was a sad attempt at a philosophy joke. :(

:wacky:

Being and Bass likes this.
  13. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    You are talking about current, not voltage. Over supplying voltage will definitely fry some pedals. Beware.

Al Kraft, mrwood4, BrBss and 8 others like this.
  14. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Nope. Voltage. From the Broughton page.

"The pedal can be powered by a 9V battery or a DC power supply (not included). The DC supply should be a standard Boss style connector, center negative polarity. The pedal can accept 9 to 24 volts. Higher voltages will provide more clean headroom. The current draw is approximately 10 mA."

Low + High Pass Filter

But I get what you are saying about the word "draw". That was misleading.

15. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    I was not talking about the HLPF or its capacity to use 9-24v. I was talking about this sentence:

"Generally speaking, electronic circuits DRAW power. Power isn't PUSHED into them. So the pedal will only take what it wants."

That is current, not voltage.

Al Kraft, BrBss, petey293 and 2 others like this.
  16. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    And Xotic..

17. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    If the box says 9VDC then you should give it 9VDC.

Let us not overcomplicate our lives and release the magic smoke, eh?

lfmn16, JimmyM, cataract and 3 others like this.
  18. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Most pedals don't have an internal regulated power supply, so operating voltages and circuit currents vary directly with input voltage.

EH specs the Crayon and Canyon pedals for 9.6VDC. The device may operate at higher voltages and even sound better, but not without risk.

john m and boomertech like this.
  19. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Wise advice indeed!:thumbsup:

-Frank

20. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Just because someone has tried it doesn't mean that it was a good idea to do it. Always check with the manufacturer to see if higher supply voltages are safe.:thumbsup:

-Frank

Al Kraft, nshuman and cataract like this.