1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

19 inch preamps unpopular?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RWiegman, Nov 17, 2006.

1. RWiegman

RWiegman

Jul 18, 2005
    Netherlands
    Why are the big names discontinuing their 19" preamps wihout presenting a new version of it?
    Some examples: Aguilar DB 659, EBS-1 Classic and EBS-1V2, SWR Grand Prix, SWR Mini Mo, SWR Instellar overdrive, Epifani Quest.
    I thought preamps were gaining popularity due to increasing interest in pre-power amp configurations.
    I don't get it...

2. Outside of some gear heads on TB, there seem to be very few players (especially pro players) that use 'separates'. All in one heads have gotten so good (light, loud, full featured) over the past 10 years, that the need to go 'component' has been greatly reduced.

Also, there is less and less need for massive stage volume at the pro level, given all the in ear technology, separate monitor mixes at even medium size venues, and greatly improved smaller PA cab technology that can now actually handle bass.

So, IMO, the reason they are being discontinued is that very few are using them.

Sometimes hanging out on TB can give you a very skewed perspective. Almost all of my peers in the midwest freelance world are either still using their Eden/Ampeg/SWR rigs that they've been using for years, or have gone to the EpifaniUL type small lightweight solution.

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Then too, an older model isn't going to sell well to a crowd that jumps to newer boutiquey rages every six months ... just an observation, not a condemnation ; }

4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    The last 2 posts pretty much said it all. Greenboy knows me from various posts here and other places and I used to be all about the latest rack gear mostly because I spent too much time online reading about rigs I "had to" have.

While my G.A.S. has been in check lately, I still like to look, but I really have everything I NEED in my Eden WT-550 head. Nice preamp, powerfull EQ, decent DI, plenty of power, fairly light and portable. I pair it with a 4 ohm Eden D210XST and I have a rig that should get me through almost any gig I will have in the near future.

I think KJ had a good point about what you see "real working guys" using and much of it is good old Eden, SWR or Ampeg heads and cabs.

5. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I don't think you could go wrong with a rig made by any of the above noted manufacturers, as well as a host of others.

There is something to be said for certain heads working better with certain cabs and certain combinations of gear working better for certain types of music and playing situations.

A very good bass gear salesman said to me once that once you get into the world of good solid pro gear, most of your "upgrades" will do one of two things: Cost you lots of money to move sideways or cost you a whole ton of money to move up a very small percent.

It gets to a point where you have to spend 200% more money to get a 5% improvement in your sound. And that improvement will likely not be noticed by anyone watching you play live or even your fellow bandmates.

That being said I get GAS badly quite often. I feel like there is so much cool gear out there and I want to try it all.

But its a never ending battle to constantly buy, sell, trade in and dump gear that really, would ,make most bass players happy to play through.

I spent a lot of money this year "upgrading" my rig. Although I spent a lot, had fun and now have a more "impressive' rig, I doubt many would notice. Except my wife who wants to kill me for being so obsessed!!

Crabby

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Most bassists in the world do fine with combos.
    Even a head+cab any bigger than a 4x10 will only be useful in a stadium. That's assuming you don't use in-ear monitor.
    I fail understanding how and why people can gas for 1000+ W amps that take 3 roadies to move around.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    This is an interesting thread.

There's a lot of merit to that. Going from a Peavy to an Eden is upgrading. Going from an Eden to an Epifani is just switching amps because one suits your tastes better. Once you get to the level of Eden/SWR/Aguilar/Sadowsky/Gallien-Krueger/etc. then the objective built quality of the amp is already spoken for. It's then all about which flavor floats your boat and works for whatever situation you are in.

Still, sometimes that little bit of difference is worth it. My guitarist use to use a rack-mounted MIDI Digitech prosessor. I'm not sure what the model number is, but it's not a cheap piece by any means. Still, it had its limitations. It colored his sound (which really isn't objectively good or bad, it's a matter if you want color), but the main problem is that there was a small lag between patches. That's alright if there's a second or two lapse when switching to a lead patch before a solo, but if you have to go directly to an overdrive patch from a clean patch, the guitar dropping out for a split second can make you sound pretty bad, IMO. He recently started using a TC Electronics G-Force, which has seamless switching. The result: In addition to even more FX and a transparent sound, he now has seamless switching. Now his sound is even more professional and makes us as a band appear and sound more professional. And it is little details like that seperate bar bands from the big boys. (Not saying that we're somehow better than a bar band, but you get my point ;) )

But as far as the original topic of the thread - I still prefer component pieces. I like being able to retain a large power section if I want a different tone, and I like retaining the same tone if I want a larger power section.

8. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    Liquid Midnight, I'd have disagree with the first part of your statement, or make a slight adjustment to it. The part that I I feel is inaccurate is when you said switching from a Peavey to an Eden is an upgrade. I don't think so.

9. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    Another thing, if you will: Digitech and Boss made 19"" rack mounted units a few years ago, I remember the Digitech had pretubes in it and an S disc version came out later in production that was supposed to reduce that lag time that occurs when switching effects. I've never tried one of those preamps because I was having to much frum with my 19 inch Peavey tube Guitar processor.:hyper:

10. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    +1 :bag:

Kim

11. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Agree on all points. I do feel the need to show my F-1X some love on occasion-it is a keeper for all time...but the ThunderFunk has handled my gigging needs so well, the Alembic has settled into the backup role-something that I never believed would happen.

Kim