Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

19" LCD Comp. Monitor

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by caesarbass, May 3, 2005.

1. Hey you computer gurus out there!!!!! I need help. I am buying a new computer system and am wondering if there are any brands I should stay away from when it comes to LCD monitors. I've been looking at Princeton, Viewsonic, Sony...give me your .02 cents worth!!!
    Thanks!!!

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Anything you never heard of:)

Stay away from generic stuff...

Having said that... what will lcd monitor be used for? are you a gamer? if you are a gamer i would look for something below 12ms... higher might cause latency in some video and games...

I personally have dell widescreen 20.1 ...pretty good... Sony makes decent ones... viewsonic is decent... philips is decent...

3. Thanks!!! It will be used mostly for home/business/recording, not much gaming. I've gotten spoiled by having a really big monitor. Is Princeton a brand name? I've only started hearing about them since I began my search.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    How much are you willing to spend?

PC Magazine rated the Samsung Syncmaster 213T, the Dell Widescreen UltraSharp 2405FPW and the HP L1955 all 4.5 out of 5. The first two are around a grand and the HP is more like 500 to 600.

PC Mag usually does pretty good, honest reviews.

brad cook

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Princeton is a brand name, but not a great one. Id personally buy anything Viewsonic made. I have a 19" flat screen (not flat pannel) from 2000 thats still running strong on my desk at home.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    What's your budget?

7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I had a 18" Sony that died about two months out of warranty. I was a pretty confident Sony buyer up until then. That really cheesed me off as it was not cheap. When I took it in to be fixed, they told me that Sony has never released parts for those monitors and that I would have to wait for an electronic organ-donor to get it functioning again. I have never had a problem with Viewsonic, which replaced the Sony.

8. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    tigerdirect has one for $250 after rebate. Really tempting....

9. I just bought a 19" Viewsonic LCD!!!!!!! It's the new VG910B, or something like that, I got it for $383.00.
    Thanks for all of the suggestions!!!!! :bassist: :bassist:

10. At work we've had a load of problems with the Princetons.

11. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Just got a Dell 17" yesterday. I was expecting a decrease in quality compared to my NEC 17" CRT but was pleasantly surprised. Not a bad picture.

I got a corporate deal as our company is an all DELL shop. $200 plus tax. Too good to pass up.

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    My bro has one of those... not a bad choice:) they are pretty good:)

Cheers

13. I'm glad I canceled the Princeton order. Looks like for the price, the Viewsonic is the way to go!!!

14. I'm using a Samsung 172x right now. Great monitor, and is considered the LCD to get if you're into games. However, if you're not into games, I don't know if it's worth its hefty price tag. (for a 17")

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

Uh-oh...we bought a crapload of that same monitor at work and within 5 months about 3/4 of them had problems.

Just kidding. :bag:

brad cook

16. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Even disreguarding price Id vote for Viewsonic hehe. I simply dont think anyone makes a better quality monitor with close to the same customer service.

This is comming from a guy who works for a computer parts wholesaler and has seen more than his fair share of monitors of all brands, sizes, and qualities over the years.

17. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Apple widescreens are cool too... expensive though...

I love my dell widescreen though... pretty badass... dells customerservice sucks balls though...

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Whoa, whoa! Easy with the techspeak, Poindexter!

brad cook

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Samsung anyday for me.

20. My new computer is on its way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!