19" multi-effects devices?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Matthias, Dec 12, 2000.

1. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Simple question:
    Are there rackmountable multi-effects units for bass? So far I've just seen them for guitars or studio.
    Can you recommend one?

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    You could try a ART Nightbass. 19" rack mountable, tons of effects. They are not made anymore, but I see them on Ebay from time to time and they usually go for around $300. Some people claim they are noisey, but that has not been my experience.
    I think the Bass Pod is coming out (or has come out) with a rackmount version.
  3. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    While the Boss VF-1 seems to be marketed towards guitarists, there are actually a lot of cool effects on there for bass. It's basically all of the best Boss stomp boxes in a half-rack unit, so you get compressor, bass chorus, flanger, phaser, auto-wah, vocoder, etc... I really like mine; I use it in a home studio setup so I take advantage of its "studio" effects (delay, reverb, etc) for guitar and keyboards.

So anyway, even though it's not directed specifically at bass I think you would get some great sounds out of it.
  4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I think it's fairly safe to say that in general rackable effects are normally better quality than floor units... MAny rack units that are labelled as being for pro audio or guitar are great for bass - Yamaha's SPX 90/900/990 etc are all really good, as is Lexicons LXP1, MPX1 and MPX-G2 (which I have). Also worth investigating are the various Digitech rack units...

5. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I just bought the Rackmount Bass Pod. its called the Bass Pod PRO.
  6. Harry

Dec 12, 2000
    Peavey made a thing called the BassFEX - Pretty much a guitar unit slightly tweaked for bass... they can be had CHEAP used - they are okay - but like most effects, should be used very carefully lest they hose up they tone of your axe. Anymore, I just use a DBX160, a TC chorus (on occasion) and when I'm REALLY nutty, my Morley Bad Horsey wah... but any good rack for pro audio (digitech,alesis,rocktron,TC) is fine for bass.
  7. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Thanks for your input.
    It just seems that stuff isn't too cheap...
    I will keep my eyes open for used ones.

8. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Do any of them operate at or close to seamless? I have heard that on some there is a significant signal drop as the effects are changed.
  9. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I spent about an hour with the Bass Pod Pro last week at GC.I thought it sounded good but maybe not almost double the price of the normal Pod good,although I was laboring without a manual with a clueless salesperson,so maybe I didn't get a fair picture of all it can do.If I were thinking of buying one,I'd want more than 36 program slots though, even a n$80 Zoom gives you 36 and the Pro can obviously do more than it can,so you'd want to take advantage of that and create lots of original patches,right?