19" Rackmount Case Diagram

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tim__x, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm looking for a diagram or drawing of a standard 19" 1U rackmount case for my pre-amp projects.
    If nobody has such a drawing I would like to know the standard demensions of this kind of case so I can get one made.
  2. Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    I think there are places (electronics warehouses) that sell blank Rack Units... blank boxes for putting electronice into...I've seen em before online. You have to drill all the hols you need for the pots and stuff. But they come powder coated already. hope this helps!
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

www.sescom.com has a number of nice rack cases available. They will drill/punch panels to order as well.
  4. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Thanks but I'm asking for diagrams as I have a metal worker for a friend who could make it for me cheaper than any store.
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Cheaper? Maybe if you're only accounting for the materials and labour. But what you're finding out now is you have to also account for the time, effort, and costs that go into the design? Maybe you should apply for a job at Behringer :)

All jokes aside, you're going to have to design it yourself. If it doesn't work, well the first one is a prototype and build a second one with whatever adjustments are needed. Repeat until satisfied.
  6. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    That's why I also asked for standard dimensions of such a case so that I could design it myself and still have it fit in a normal rack.
  7. Let's see, a case might run you $50 to 100. It'll take a metal worker at least two hours to cut the steel and bend it, more if it's a fancy--oh yep, it's got rack ears, so you're probably looking at three to four hours. Metal shop time ain't cheap. I don't know of too many shops that charge less than $25 per hour. And this doesn't include surface prep and painting.

A few weeks ago, I needed some rack ears tp mount a tape deck. I've got metal working tools myself, but it's a heckuva lot easier to just buy them from Parts Express for $5 each. It'd take me at least two hours to make and another hour to paint....my time is worth a lot more than $10 for three hours.
  8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I know you are trying to save money but I would go on Ebay and get a blank rack panel for the size you need, a 1RU or 2RU. You can get them for under $20 and can find them sometimes as low as $5.
    Anyways, here are some general specs I pulled from my own equipment (4 different companies) and don't claim they are industry standards:
    1.5" center-to-center per RU. so a 2RU would be 3" c-to-c
    18 & 3/8 inch c-to-c
  9. Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    No lectures from me! Here's a link to drawings in PDF and Autocad formats:

Those are for the rack cases I use. If you browse around the site you may find a style you like better, and there should be drawing for them as well.

10. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

You might want to take a look look at the link I posted. There are diagrams there for a couple of different style rack cases, whether you want to buy theirs or roll your own. :cool:
  11. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Thank you so much. This is exactly what I was looking for.