1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

19 years waiting for this NBD...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Nov 5, 2010.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

...and it has finally arrived. Here's the story: As many of you already know, I recently bought a Cort Gene Simmons Axe bass. Among other reasons, I did it because it's a cheap instrument since money has been really tight this year. I mean, had it been an expensive bass, I'd never thought of buying it. So, it wasn't among my plans to get another instrument.

The thing is, last weekend I saw through Facebook that a fellow TalkBasser who lives in Bogotá (Colombia's Capital City) and is the authorized dealer for Lakland, Alleva-Coppolo, Dingwall and DR strings (among other products) in my country, was offering an used Kubicki Ex Factor for sale. For those of you who haven't read my comments on these instruments, they have stolen my sleep since I saw Stuart Hamm playing his Trans Blue one on his "Slap, Pop & Tap For The Bass" video for the first time back in 1991.

After asking the seller some questions about this particular instrument, I made the decision: Since I already had an unused free investment credit available in my bank, I went there and asked for the money to buy the bass. Of course, and although getting into debt is never a good idea, I did it because I know that I'm perfectly able to take the responsibility.

So, I have it now at home and I still feel like fainting. It's a 2001 Kubicki Ex Factor in excellent condition which looks, feels, plays and sounds exactly as I always expected. Every inch of this bass breathes quality. I'm still in awe. As you'll see in the pictures, it only has two minor cosmetic flaws. Aside from that, it's like new. And of course, just seeing it is something really different to actually feeling it. The bridge assembly with the ultra-precise micro-tuning system looks like an engineering marvel to me. The bass is so comfortable and I really like how it feels strapped on.

The instrument arrived within a black G&G hardshell case. Price paid? 2042 USD total. Many of you may say that it was overpriced, but handling and shipping to Colombia (including the fee for the guy who makes the transaction for me in the U.S.) increase prices in a not so small proportion, so I think it wouldn't have made much of a difference if I had bought it through eBay or Craiglist.

So, fellow bassists and friends from the TalkBass family, please allow me to introduce you my new baby. Here are some of the pictures published by the seller:

Kubicki01.

Kubicki02.

Kubicki03.

Kubicki04.

Kubicki05.

Kubicki06.

Kubicki07.

Kubicki08.

[​IMG]

Kubicki10.

And here are other not so great ones taken at home:

Kubicki11.

Kubicki12.

Kubicki13.

Kubicki14.

Kubicki15.

Kubicki16.

Kubicki17.

No further comments for now. I just want to say that I'm extremely happy and want to send a huge "thank you" to my friend Tomás Julio, the second fellow TalkBasser that makes my dreams come true (being Jauqo III-X the first one). Thanks for reading! :)

2. Foreman_

Foreman_

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver B.C.
    That's a pretty rad looking bass man! I hope it serves you well :)

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Wow! Truly lovely instrument! Congrats!

4. the back of that neck is sexy!!!
    it compliments your Steinberger very well
    2 very sexy and cool black headless basses

congratulations!!

5. I owned a Pre-Fender one. I NEVER should have sold it but at the time, I wanted a 5 string. That bass played so effortlessly and had the best slap tone ever. Congrats on the new bass. She's a looker.

6. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Fascinating! Enjoy:)

7. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    that thing looks dead mint!

8. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    Great looking bass, congrats!

9. JZQuantum

JZQuantum Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2008
    The back of the neck is very interesting. Very $$ IMO, but at least you got what you wanted! Gotta love the E string ball location in the headstock.

Sound clips?

10. SpectorDetector

SpectorDetector Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Wow! Super jealous, it's gorgeous....

11. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    Great looking bass. I loves my Factor. Definitely a top bass.

12. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    This thing looks like it is from the future! I love it. Sci-fi-lishish

13. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    That does indeed look quite killer!

14. Need2KnowBasses

Need2KnowBasses

Aug 30, 2010
    Very nice. Thanks for adding something else to my gas list.

15. The only headless bass i've ever wanted.

16. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    That thing is in beautiful condition! Nice catch! I've always liked them but have never had the occasion to play one.

17. Beautiful. Congratulations!! I am subscribing to your youtube and hope you put a video or two of her in action.;)

18. tfernandez

tfernandez

Jul 5, 2010
    that drop d tuning lever is awesome! would have never thought of something like that

19. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Tommy Julio IS THE MAN!!!!!

Felicidades Alvaro!

20. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Nice!!! Very nice!!!