1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

For Sale 1920's Pfretzschner German bass w/Mooradian Bag

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by emjazz, Sep 22, 2018.

1. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Price:
    Strings:
    *Big price drop...let's get this into the hands of someone that will play the heck out of it.

Many new photos below...

Selling my 3/4 Pfretzschner bass from the 1920's. Selling as I'm playing mostly electric and I need to make a new record. I had this looked over by Zach Lane in Brooklyn. He said it's a fantastic bass in great shape. No cracks internally, the seams are all solid and it plays and sounds great. I had him move the sound post a small amount, lower the strings at the nut and he reshaped the bridge. Plays and sounds better than when I bought it. I bought just the bass for $4000 at Rutman's Violins in Boston and have put a few hundred into the bass. $4200 obo. The bass will come with a nice french bow and a bridge mute for quieter practice and a standard 3/4 Mooradian Bag. Feel free to contact me to come and check it out if you'd like.

Update: just had a new endpoint installed and had a crack glued that was a re glue. The re repair is from an ornamental piece of wood that was at somsome point in the basses life added to the bottom of the bass, where the end pin is. There is no structural damage to the actual bass. While the bass was in for repair I also had the fingerboard by the nut sanded to solve a d string vibration. All is good to go now. Once again this reputable repair person, who is also an accomplished player, remarked on how nice the bass plays and sounds.

Update: Now comes with a standard 3/4 Mooradian Bag.

I don't check here often, so feel free to email me at [email protected].

Great playing and sounding bass that I hate to see go, but will be dedicating my time fully to the electric bass. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks so much! Best, Andy.

20200217_144456.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    B.Anderson, WillyW, HeavyJazz and 6 others like this.
  2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    20180923_144307.jpg

3. PM'd!

emjazz likes this.
  4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey all....this is a plywood bass and is a D neck. Thanks!

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I brought the bass to the David Gage shop today. I wanted to absolutely confirm that this is a plywood Pfretzschner from the 1920's. That has now been 100% confirmed by the shop. Alex there looked it over and felt that it's a great bass. He was really impressed by it. He said that my price is right on the money for the bass. He also raised the action and we both agreed it opened up the sound of the G string considerably. Now the low E through the G are evenly open, clear and growl beautifully.

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Update: just had a new endpoint installed and had a crack glued that was a re glue. The re repair is from an ornamental piece of wood that was at somsome point in the basses life added to the bottom of the bass, where the end pin is. There is no structural damage to the actual bass. While the bass was in for repair I also had the fingerboard by the nut sanded to solve a d string vibration. All is good to go now. Once again this reputable repair person, who is also an accomplished player, remarked on how nice the bass plays and sounds.

Also, I'm in NH until July doing an electric bass gig. The upright can be checked out up this way until then.

coreyfyfe and labravajazz like this.
  7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Lots of new photos uploaded!

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    20200817_162917.jpg

Attached Files:

TCaetano likes this.
  9. ShawnLBass

ShawnLBass

Jul 17, 2014
    Brooklyn
    Will the bass be back in Brooklyn in the near future?

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I wish that I could say! Got stranded at my family home in NH for the time being. Still fighting with the government for my unemployment! Happy to meet part way if you drive.

ShawnLBass likes this.
  11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Now comes with a standard Mooradian Bag.

12. Conway Campbell

Conway Campbell

Sep 7, 2021
    Hello, I’m interested in the bass. I’m wondering if it is still available for purchase?

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    It is indeed! I'm still currently on the seacoast of NH.

14. Conway Campbell

Conway Campbell

Sep 7, 2021
    would you be able to send any videos of the bass being played?

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021