1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale 1920's Pfretzschner German bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by emjazz, Sep 22, 2018.

1. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Price:
    Strings:
    Selling my 3/4 Pfretzschner bass from the 1920's. Selling as I'm playing mostly electric and I need to make a new record. I just had this looked over by Zach Lane here in Brooklyn. He said it's a fantastic bass in great shape. No cracks internally, the seems are all solid and it plays and sounds great. I had him move the sound post a small amount, lower the strings at the nut and he reshaped the bridge. Plays and sounds better than when I bought it. I bought it for $4000 at Rutman's Violins in Boston. I'm selling it for $3200. Zach said that it could use a fingerboard leveling (just to open up the sound even more.....no buzzing of any sort at all) ($300), and we both agree, although not a necessity, a new end pin would be a positive upgrade ($200). The bass will come with a very basic bag, a nice french bow and quiver from Gollihur Music, some new, fresh Pop's rosin and a bridge mute for quieter practice. Feel free to contact me to come and check it out if you'd like. I'm in Crown Heights in Brooklyn.

I don't check here often, so feel free to email me at andrewtdow11@gmail.com.

Great playing and sounding bass that I hate to see go, but a new record needs to be made! Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks so much! Best, Andy.

Attached Files:

Joseph Correia, Hans Gruber and jmain like this.
  2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    20180923_144307.

3. Vince_P9

Vince_P9 Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Hudson Valley New York
    PM'd!

emjazz likes this.
  4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey all....this is a plywood bass and is a D neck. Thanks!

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I brought the bass to the David Gage shop today. I wanted to absolutely confirm that this is a plywood Pfretzschner from the 1920's. That has now been 100% confirmed by the shop. Alex there looked it over and felt that it's a great bass. He was really impressed by it. He said that my price is right on the money for the bass. He also raised the action and we both agreed it opened up the sound of the G string considerably. Now the low E through the G are evenly open, clear and growl beautifully.

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    bump...still available