1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1937 American Standard #448

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by MollyKay, Apr 29, 2015.

1. MollyKay

MollyKay

Sep 10, 2006
    Southern PA
    Bass Hobby'ist
    I picked up my unmarked/not labeled, 1937 American Standard bass from James last week. As mentioned in an earlier thread this bass had the full make over with a new neck and scroll graft. James did an outstanding job. The bass has a cool vibe; I want to keep this as my only American Standard in my down sized collection. This means I will play the snot out of this bass and accept the negative investment.

It has vintage red Artone gut G&D with a Spiro med A&E. We kept the original non-adjustable wooden end pin, new tail wire, new bridge with adjusters, new neck with scroll graft with an ebony fingerboard and nut.

I am going dancing with this bass tonight for my first jam. I can’t wait to hear it in the mix and get ready for the snide comments on the pin up girl…we think it is
    IMG_2425.JPG tinker bell.

2. That bass is gloriously roached. You're making me want to put Red-O-Rays back on my German. Enjoy!

3. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Did you keep the original string length with the new neck?

4. MollyKay

MollyKay

Sep 10, 2006
    Southern PA
    Bass Hobby'ist
    No, the string length has be changed to 42" and plays like a dream. If it lost any punch from going from 43" to 42" you can't prove it to me. I am very happy with the new neck. James's hit it spot on!

5. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Dang! I just LOVE workshops like James's in the pic. Makes me want to burn a week for a trip to Asheville.

6. Mcnailit

Mcnailit

Nov 22, 2011
    Amarillo, Tx
    I have #440 but unfortunately it met a bad fate last year at a gig. Never agree to help out wanna be's. That's a whole story in itself. Before the incident, it was the loudest, best sounding plywood bass I had ever played. Enjoy it and play the snot out of it.

7. MollyKay

MollyKay

Sep 10, 2006
    Southern PA
    Bass Hobby'ist
    Well...went jamming with my bass last night.

AWESOME, between explaining James fine craftsmanship, answering questions about the heritage of the bass, allowing my close music friends to test drive it and playing on stage...this bass is everything I expected it would be. I waited five years to hear this bass after sitting unplayable in my collection. It was definitely worth the wait.

The bass was so loud from stage they cut off my mic and then muted it down. I can only image how the voice will develope and improve as the wood wakes up while the new neck and strings settle in. I am very pleased and proud to have this bass returned to the circle of music.

Job well done...Thank you James!

8. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    That's truly awesome!

9. 834federal

834federal David Brodie

Feb 25, 2012
    Philadelphia
    I'm about to have that American Standard (which I bought, btw) converted to 42" by Arnold Schnitzer. Glad to hear how happy you are with yours! This bass from 1964 is a beast! I can't wait to get her going with a new bridge and extend nut. Thanks again for your response to my earlier email!

-dave

10. I remember seeing your bass at your shop. It had a personality that needed to released. Glad to see that you were able to get it back into curculation and call it your own. That's cool.

Juan

11. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I just finished putting #427 back together. Strung with guts it's ridiculously loud and punchy. I think the owner is going to like it!

eh_train and John Chambliss like this.
  12. Congratulations! I hope you enjoy many years with the instrument. It certainly looks like it has a ton of karma. Cheers.

13. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I now think this may be later because it lacks the hump on the upper ribs, approaching the neck heel. There is no American Standard label, but only a small label with the number 427 on it.