1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

SOLD 1937 Herold Jaeger 3/4 bass for sale

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by RobWebBass, Aug 27, 2020.

1. RobWebBass

RobWebBass

Apr 29, 2015
    Buffalo, NY
    Price:
    $4500
    Strings:
    1E76E873-6DBB-4196-880C-86BD7856FD10.jpeg 33FF7E93-2D94-4B19-8826-1B6CA646AE6B.jpeg 2BF6FC12-D08A-44AF-863A-783277F56FC1.jpeg 90ADB7E1-9C8D-4407-93AC-1EB4AE273B05.jpeg 1937 Herold Jaeger bass for sale

-41 5/8” String length
    -Fully carved, 3/4 size
    -Eb neck
    -Smaller body, very easy to get around
    -Appraised recently at $8000

-Upper bout width - 20”
    -Lower bout width - 25”

-Width at neck - 6 3/4”
    -Width at lower bout - 8 1/4”

I’ve owned this bass since 2014, when I bought it from a luthier in PA who told me its story. The previous owner played it for many years and upon his death wished the bass be sold to a young bassist who needed a fine instrument but could not afford full price. I am passing that on to the next buyer.

The bass is in great shape and I’m only selling because I bought an Arvi that has become my main instrument. Minor cosmetic wear. No major repairs since I’ve had it, only had a carbon fiber endpin installed. Looks like there was work done with the button in its distant past, but it has never moved or shifted and has always been solid. Setup by Mike Griffin in Rochester.

This is a fantastic instrument for orchestral, chamber, or solo work. I haven’t played jazz on it so I can’t speak about that, but I do have a jazz recording with the bass if you’d like to hear.

It’s served me well as a freelance classical player, having played with the Buffalo Phil and regional orchestras. It’s a fantastic deal.

The bass comes with several accessories, such as a case and endpin wheel. I’m looking for sale only, no trade, located in Buffalo, NY. Willing to travel a reasonable distance for an eager prospective buyer to try.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  2. almal

almal

Aug 28, 2006
    Kansas City
    I have a 1934 Herold Jaeger plywood bass that I love. If I were anywhere close I would love to try this! Always wondered about the carved cousins to my bass out there. Edgar Meyer’s bass that he learned on was also a Jaeger. Good luck with the sale! I’m sure this bass is awesome.

3. RobWebBass

RobWebBass

Apr 29, 2015
    Buffalo, NY
    Thank you! It’s been a great instrument. Always a joy to play on. It breaks my heart to sell it, but my Arvi only just beats it out in terms of volume and depth of sound. This Jaeger was a perfect grad school instrument and deserves to be played much more than I can play it now.

4. RobWebBass

RobWebBass

Apr 29, 2015
    Buffalo, NY
    Accepting reasonable offers, will drive within 6 hours distance from Buffalo for serious buyers.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021