1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD 1940 American Standard Upright Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by Scott Colberg, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Price:
    $4000
    Strings:
    American Standard Upright Bass

This bass is from 1940 (made by the H. N White Company of Cleveland, Ohio).
    The serial number is 1428.

The bass has been fully restored at David Gage String Repair in NYC. The instrument is in top notch condition. It has a brand new ebony fingerboard, a new tailpiece, a new synthetic tailpiece wire, and a small false nut was added. There are no open seams or cracks. There was a neck repair done at some point that looks solid and great, but I don’t know who did the work. All repairs are done extremely well and the bass plays and sounds great. I have two Spirocores on the low strings and two Evah Pirazzi on the high strings. It sounds nice with this string combination but will sound good with any string of your choosing. It has a 42 1/4" string length, 21" upper bout, 25" lower bout, 74" total height. The bass and me are located in Brooklyn, New York 11206. Please contact me with any questions!

Thanks for your interest.

- Scott

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  2. Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  3. Dave Speranza

Dave Speranza Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    This is a great bass. Have played it and loved the sound and feel.

Scott Colberg likes this.
  4. Thanks Dave! I love this bass too.

5. bazzo

bazzo

Oct 8, 2006
    Looks like a sweetheart, Scott! With the shortened string length, does it have a D neck now? Thanks!

6. I've never really thought of instruments this way, but I'd imagine the common consensus would be that it is an Eb neck.

7. Actually, I might call it a D neck! Sorry for not having a definitive answer.

8. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    A+++++
    Everybody needs a cool vintage American Standard!!!!

krfoss and Scott Colberg like this.
  9. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    drooldrooldrool!!!

10. I have seen and played this instrument as well. It is in very good condition. The neck is thin and easy to get around. The sound is more pointed than mine, very clear and nice under the bow. Definitely a players instrument.

11. Thank you everyone for your messages and interests. The bass found a good home today.

KUNGfuSHERIFF likes this.
  12. It will be well-played and you can always visit it in the neighborhood...

Scott Colberg and JLubinsky-Mast like this.