Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1940 kay S9 swingmaster value

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by groovking, Oct 7, 2002.

1. i found what sounds like a really good bass. im going to see and play it friday. its a 1940 kay swingmaster, blonde. its been described as appearing to be in almost unplayed condition. what do you folks feel something like this should go for? its a bass tech that was referred to me that has it. the bass is all set and ready to gig.

2. Prices vary by area of the country. This is why you should fill out your profile.

3. im in the northeast usa. i also just updated my profile? thanks

4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    A nice, updated model S should fetch $3000 to 4000 in the Northeast. But the blonde finish really hurts it in this part of the country. In Texas it would be a big hit...

5. Must be some of that famous Northeastern snobbery!;)

6. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    As opposed to Midwestern superiority?

7. Well... Could Be: :p

8. uptonbass

uptonbass Proprietor, Upton Bass String Instrument Co.

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com
    I would say that 3-4k is a little high, 2-3k is reasonable. Unless it includes a pickup, a nice bag etc, I wouldn't ask over 3k

Good luck

9. ill let you guys know how it turns out. he was asking 2699, which he immediatly dropped to 2600 over the phone. he will probably take a quick 2500. we will see.