1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No longer available 1940 Vintage Kay M-1-W Upright Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by Bobby King, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Price:
    $1950
    Strings:
    1940 Vintage Kay M-1-W Upright Bass

Great sounding and playing vintage Kay Bass! No cracks, no open seams, edges in good shape, rosewood fingerboard in excellent condition, original tuners function just fine, old dowel repair in neck heel, but totally solid. Adjustable bridge, vintage (possibly original?) leatherette gig bag. There is plenty of wear in the finish, definitely vintage looking - what you might expect from a 79 year old bass, but again, structurally very sound, and no cracks or major bruises. Strung with LaBella Supernils, great jazz, blues and bluegrass tones, sounds great with steel strings as well.

$1950 obo for local pickup.

Will meet within 150 mile radius of Nashville, TN
    I will consider shipping the bass, but we would have to work out the where-to, shipping method, and price. Thanks!

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG 10.JPG 11.JPG 12.JPG 13.JPG 14.JPG 15.JPG 17.JPG 18.JPG

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    WillieB, jmain and Keith Rawlings like this.
  2. Paul New

Paul New Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    The neck hasn’t been cracked and repaired, or did I read that wrong?

salcott likes this.
  3. Bobby King

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    The finish might make it look like a crack in that one side pic of the neck heel - but I believe that is just the finish.

4. Paul New

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    The neck heel picture seems to show a crack and dowel repair.

5. Bobby King

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    While there are two circular looking blemishes in the finish on the heel, but I don’t think those are dowel repairs.

IMG_6747.JPG

6. Paul New

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    Sorry then, my mistake.

7. Bobby King

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Another TBer seems to be certain those are dowels as well - if they are, it’s not that obvious if you look at the finish. But I’m going to edit my ad and represent it that way. Anyone interested should come see the bass. Solid as a rock.