1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1941 Kay Orchestra $800 or f/t in CT

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by Standalone, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    The pics and the price are self explanatory, but...

I've owned this for twelve years or so, and have been seriously playing and gigging it for the last two years. It's got a fine big sound, and I think it can be heard on the link to my band's website, recorded with a cheap electret. I think can send you an MP3 of a much better recording (complete with my attempt at a solo) if you need to hear more.

The woodgrain on it is unique and attractive. I constantly get compliments on it. The neck is smallish, expecially because of the well planed down rosewood fb, but even with the added thickness of a new fb, I think this would be an easier transition from slab...

I love the big pizz tone on this, and the thing *loves* to be rocked out on when my band switches up to the old rock tunes for that party third set!

No illusions about the value of this bass-- it's your basic rough shape Kay. But it *is* playable and stable. The action is definitely bluegrass-high to say the least, but I've managed to gig weekly on it playing Jazz standards. I would say it needed a new fingerboard if you wanted to get the action back to something most folks consider decent. The neck has the standard Kay break, and has been stable. It's been into Upton for a little hide glue in the sides where it was delaminating slightly at the edges from wear, but there is no other delamination going on. There are some chips, both repaired and unrepaied. It's strung with Pizzicatos, excepting that E. I'm throwing a red label cheapie on it or something tomorrow.

The E string broke yesterday moments after I spoke with the band about trading it in or selling it, and moments before the first song of our first set, so there is definitely some mojo posession going on. Not sure what this does to the value... ;) I had to go electric the whole afternoon!

I do think I'm overdescribing its ills-- it's really a great old bass, but I've decided to move on to another rather than put some work into this one.

I'll be trading this in for a little less than I'm asking here in the near future, so if you are interested, make me an offer. I can do paypal or, preferably, cash in person on pickup or delivery.

Speaking of delivery, I can get this to you, splitting gas money from NYC to let's say not quite all the way to Boston, but let's talk. I've got family in Delaware, so there is an outside chance of down that way.

Thanks!

Joe in West Haven

edit: here's a link to a video of my band with me on the bass. The sound was recorded in my studio, and has little to do with the action on the screen, but you can get the idea. Email me if you wish for any specific pictures. Cheers!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_MqpfbehCl4

edit #2: Yes, it's definitely a 3/4 bass. That's it in my avatar, and I am six foot four. It's a big ol' roundback gamba corner bass. Maybe even a little on the large side of 3/4? Looks like the two Kays up on eBay right now are half size... oh, my ebay ID is joejnyc where you can see the impressive "16" next to my name. :)

Edit #3 for those of you following at home, see also this thread, where the bass is currently being discussed http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356209

Cheers, Joe

2. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    some more photos

Here's the heel and dowels.

IMG_5599.

Another pic. If you's like photos detailing anything else, please ask. I might try to get one of the label in the bass tonight.

Attached Files:

3. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    th_IMG_5599.

-{ photobucket slide show }-

Had this up FS previously, then found my Juzek to replace it. I don't really need two, and it's wrong to just let it sit. I was going to keep it for this summer's on-the-deck boat gigs, but I think my Juzek will take the humidity okay. The E String that is missing in the photos has been replaced with a relatively inexp. "prelude," but it sounds pretty even in comparison to the other A, D, & G.

The main issue is the height of the action. The rosewood FB has been planed over the years to be pretty thin. This Kay should have a new fb, bridge and nut to bring it up to spec for most purposes. It's set for bluegrass pretty much, but I rehearsed and gigged regularly on it for two years after owning it for ten before that in exactly this condition.

All DB recordings on my band's site are it mic'd with a cheap condensor: http://www.waterfrontjazzproject.com/songs.html listen to Night and Day about 3/4 of the way through... I think most of the other clips are electric.

There is a neck break, but the repair is old and has gone through much use without anything ominous happening. Some have advised replacing the neck, others just to slap a new FB on and carry on.

I had some cash offers a little under my $800 asking, and didn't bite at the time-- but there is some gear I could use, so here's the feeler.

I could use:
    1. lightweight/midweight amp 3-500 watts. (I do miss my Eden Metro)
    2. '76-'83 Japanese Long Scale Electrics for the budding collection
    3. I could use a better f'less, and have no fretted fiver on hand. I'm set for P basses.
    4. A six of decent value might be interesting, too. I played an SR1206 that I dug...
    5. possibly a good electric guitar (tele/strat/p-90's)
    6. higher end mic pre for my studio or an ldc
    7. mic and piezo to amplify my Juzek (something that sends both mic and piezo through one TRS would rule.)

So who knows, some combination of the above, or something from the above plus cash, ideally hitting the $800 trade value mark. Outright sale is still a possibility of course, but I'm aware people aren't shelling out much cash these days.

It's not a fire sale, and it's not a total junker that I'm just trying to unload, so super lowball trades aren't really in the cards.... but let's see what's out there!

Cheers!

4. Prashant

Prashant

Feb 29, 2000
    CT
    Hi Joe,

I'm interested in checking out your Kay Bass. I don't have any of the items that you'd like in trade, but I could pay for it outright in cash, if things work out and I like the bass.

I live in CT...Fairfield County. I'm headed up to Boston next weekend (Feb 8-10). Are you around on Sunday afternoon (Feb 10th)? I could swing by on my way back from beantown.

(I tried e-mailing you via TB, but it told me that you don't accept e-mails. Hence, this public posting.)

You can send me an email via TB; I'd rather not post my e-mail address in public.

Thanks!

Prashant Rao

5. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    all PM's and inqiries responded to...

TB instant message is the best way to contact me for now.

6. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Still available-- some interest, but nothing concrete. I'm on vacation this week, so showing the bass is very convenient for me in the near future.

7. UtBDan

UtBDan

Oct 29, 2004
    Connecticut
    my talkbass inbox is way beyond full because of formerly being a paying member (eich lol)

e-mail me at dantheman3k at yahoo.com if it's still for sale.

8. bassmanx27

bassmanx27

Jan 2, 2008
    Long Island
  9. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    emails sent......

10. Still available?

Regards,
    François
    TB mod

11. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    The bass is still for sale, and no longer for trade as I've rounded out my electric rig and studio since.

edit....July 22... still getting interest here and there. It is still up for sale. Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.