1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale 1945 Hand-Carved Tiger Maple Bass (Made in Cleveland, OH)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by cdamore18, Oct 10, 2018.

1. cdamore18

cdamore18

Oct 10, 2018
    Price:
    $1000
    Strings:
    There is quite a bit of mystery surrounding this one. I picked it up in Plymouth, MA from a shop that had pieced this beautiful hand-carved bass back together after years of neglect. Legend has it, it was involved in some sort of flood (see stains on bottom/back) but had held together since the restoration for a couple years before the seams at the upper bouts and the top started to pop - you can see those separations in the pictures. I took the string tension down a couple months ago to alleviate the stress on the body which brought the wood back to its original shape, but this bass will need some significant work. Some other "features" include:

- A homemade C-Extender made with what look like cello pegs and will probably need to be replaced with something more robust or taken out entirely since they're all a bit loose.
    - A relatively new Upton Bass fabric case!
    - Pencil scrawled inside: the name "Jos. May", some indiscernible number, and "Cleveland, Ohio 1945"

This was a great bass to learn on, and it's sad to part with, but it's just taking up room at this point. I'm sure someone out there could restore it to workable condition - if you drive out to Cambridge to grab it, I'll pay for gas! Also, if anyone out there has any info on the origins of such a bass, please comment!
    bassback. bassupfront. bassuppegs. bassbottom. bassbackbottom. bassbout. basswinders. bassheadside. basspegsfront. bassboutsplit1. bassboutsplit2. bassfrontbottom. bassfull. bassfull2. basstailpiece.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  2. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    Beyond cool! GLWTS!

3. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Do you have the dimensions of the bass?Thanks!

4. Sam_Brown1

Sam_Brown1 Commercial User

Jan 4, 2017
    Pm sent

5. Mgaisbacher

Mgaisbacher Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Im going to be up in Boston at the end of the month and if the bass is still there I would love to check it out!

6. Pm Sent

5StringsBowed likes this.