1946 American Standard Bass - worth?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Pelky, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Pelky

Mar 10, 2006
    Hi...I have a 1946 American Standard Bass that has been in my family for years. I have NO IDEA what it is worth...any ideas? It plays great, no structural damage...but looks worn. Thanks in advance!
  2. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    It would be helpful to post some pictures.

There are some very knowledgble TB'ers on this site who will be able to help but they will need to see it.

I would try and show any wear and imperfections as much as possible since they will impact the value of the bass.

My 2 cents, between $3 to $5K depending on condition.
  3. jlilley

jlilley Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Mill Creek, WA
    I agree, its mostly likely worth $3 to 5K depending on condition and what part of the country your in. They seem to have a greater following on the East Coast and in places like Nashville. Everyone in Seattle thinks mine (a 1949) is a big Kay.
    They are great basses...
  4. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN

Was this bass purchased by someone in your family? Is that why you say 1946? If you have any solid proof of the date of manufacture it would be of great use to those of us who have contributed to the Am. Std. website:http://www.americanstandardbass.com/ The information on these is just now coming together to get a pretty good idea about dates of manufacture since no records were kept at the factory.

What is the serial no. of the bass? any pics or other info?

5. Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Condition and authenticity are everything folks. Numbers that have been thrown around are worthless until those thing are determined. It could be a pile of twigs or it could be a diamond in the rough.

Lets see.
  6. Pelky

Mar 10, 2006
    The serial # is 1616. Another guy thinks based on this # that it is year 1948.....although I found a serial # list that said #1550 through #1650 are 1946. I just subscribed to this site and I have to figure out how to post pics...any help? Or, I can email direct to you individually. I'll poke around. The only thing wrong with this bass is the finish is worn....otherwise structurally sound and plays great. Stand by for pics.
  7. upload them to www.imageshack.us

and then link to it from here :)
  8. kipmartin

Aug 22, 2004
    nashville, TN
    endorsing artist: intellitouch tuners, sansamp, uptonbass
    pelky said:
    >The serial # is 1616. Another guy thinks based on this #
    >that it is year 1948.....

im confident that im the best source for dates at this point, and the historian at HN White, who mades these basses has indicated that my list is the most accurate available. and as verified dates come in, i'm getting more accurate.

id say your bass is a 1948. if you have PROOF that the bass was purchased in 1946, then i'd be interested in seeing it. until then, i guess i have to stick to my estimate.

hope this helps.

9. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    Here are some of the pics Pelky sent me:

Attached Files: