1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1946 Blonde Kay

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Alec Valentine, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Alec Valentine

Alec Valentine

Apr 12, 2006
    Canada
    Hello all, I'm fairly new here so if anyone can offer some advice I would appreciate it.

I've been thinking of getting a second bass, and today out of the blue this guy said he wants to sell his 1946 Kay. The original finish has been removed, and it sounds like a major repair was done to the dovetail joint in the neck. He couldn't remember the model # off hand, but he said the serial number has been verified ant it is definately a 46.

He's asking around $1000 CAD ($879 USD) which is about all I can afford at the moment, and I need the durability of a laminate.

Can anyone advise me of what to look for when I check it out next week. Or is it just a expensive project in the making.

Thanks

2. RD

RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Alec,
    I'd say that you should have a luthier check it out. If the seller resists that idea in anyway, I'd walk away. It might be stolen. It would be a good deal at that price, if it gets a clean bill of health and is not hot.
    Read up on Kays at :http://www.kaybass.com/
    good luck,
    RD

3. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I have a 1941 kay, a beat up 'orchestra' ply model (the least expensive one.) It has had a refin and a bad neck break, and the repair has started to move a little.

a full neck replacement is in the lower $1000s usd. I'm torn about what to do with mine, but if I had another bass, I think it would still make a great beater back up bass.