1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1947 fender Precision eh??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PinkTelephone, Apr 21, 2006.

1. http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/152910364.html

my friend told me about that and from what understand thats 4 year too early. seems REALLY fishy, just wondering what you guys think of this.

and $7000 seems kinda cheap since 60s jazz in "relic" condition sell for $10,000+

2. No, no, no. Looks really really fake: looks like the fingerboard extends past the neck, which is very period inaccurate, and a pearloid pickgaurd?!

3. What a riot! That's the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

4. eXCeSS

eXCeSS

Apr 17, 2006
    [​IMG]

there is is incase it goes down

5. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I put a bid in and plan to drive over in my 1959 Mustang to pick in up. I'm planning on playing it thru my 1944 Ampeg amp.

6. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    looks like a 51 refin (they didn't come in black did they?) that's been played heavily. definitely a replacement guard. fenders only been around commercially since 46, no way leo built the bass after only a year. the strat, or esquire or whatever that six string thing was called then, was barely even on the market in 47. hoax.

7. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I'm not an expert, but I've only seen them in a Natural finish from the early 50's. And how 'bout that guard?! The guy is either trying to pull something or is just guessing at what he has. Stay away from it, run fast...

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The first Precisions rolled out in October 51.
    That guy's a LIAR!

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    He might not be a liar, he might just bea dummy who bought the bass from somebody who told him it was a '47.

10. chf3354

chf3354

Jan 26, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    I AM WITH YOU CHEF, THIS GUY IS EITHER TO@%^%$ OR TOO SMART ,THERE IS NO 47 PRECISION PERIOD ,CHF3354:scowl:

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    OK, I'll grant you he might be a moron and not a liar, but the price tag says liar to me...

12. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I'll trade him my 1942 Gibson Les Paul w/period accurate Seymour Duncan pickups.

13. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    ROFL! Thats awesome! I'm bookmarking that one!

14. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Is that thing strung through the body?

15. chf3354

chf3354

Jan 26, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    IPDELUXE ,DO NOT BOTHER ,THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THIS GUY AND THE BASS !!! CHF3354:crying:

16. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Appears to be, as was the original 51...and the 51 reissues...

17. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

I did not know that. Maybe the guy is just mistaken? If it's a relic job, it looks like somebody did a good job of making it look like real player wear...

Has anybody contacted the seller and asked about it, or asked for any additional photos?

18. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Off the back of a truck. I'll bet you could fry an egg on it.

19. RyansDad

RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    Perhaps the normal rules of time and space do not apply in his apartment. :D :D :D :D :D

20. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    The only things Fender made in '47 were Lap Steels and small Amps!! The Brodcaster guitar didn't hit the market until 1950.