1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale 1949 Kay M1 with lots of extras - Bow, Stand, Bag, Wheel, Pre-Amp, etc.

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by TheLarch, Mar 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TheLarch

TheLarch Supporting Member

Price:
    Strings:
    It's time to let this great 1949 Kay M1 find a loving home. I just don't play her enough these days between starting a new business, kids, etc. to justify letting her gather dust. This bass deserves better than me.

She has definitely been played but is solid and plays well. My understanding is that this bass spent many years in a college orchestra until coming to New York City around 2000 and I bought her in 2002.

While there are no external markings that say "Kay", there is a stamp inside of "M1" and "19581" which dates her to 1949. There's lots of finish scratches and chips and at some point long before I had her, it looks like the headstock took a blow and cracked by the scroll but was repaired and she stays in great tune. I replaced the endpin and tailpiece wire with much more substantial materials.

I'm including a Ingles stand, bow, bag, wheel and a K&K Bass Master rockabilly pickup. I'm pretty sure that I strung her up with Innovation Rockabilly strings.

I'm in Hasbrouck Heights, NJ (Bergen County, just outside of NYC) and you are welcome to take her for a spin. I'm willing to travel a bit to meet up but we can discuss that as needed.

Please hit me up with questions and I will do my best to answer.

Thanks

Stephen

P3230137 (1).JPG P3230138 (1).JPG P3230139.JPG P3230140.JPG P3230141.JPG P3230142.JPG P3230145 (1).JPG P3230147 (1).JPG

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    billhw13 and james condino like this.
  2. TheLarch

Price drop to $2600.

3. TheLarch

I'm also open to a trade for a comparable value vintage American and/or Fender bass (boat anchors and highly modified basses need not apply).