1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1950's Juzeks Who knows about them?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Koolfool, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Koolfool

Koolfool

Nov 27, 2014
    I was just told that my Juzek bass was made around 1950. Who knows about them?

2. lukatch

lukatch

Feb 18, 2015
    Probably someone in the upright bass forum. Basses [DB]

okcrum and james condino like this.
  3. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Mid century basses that were sourced from a number of central European shops and re-labeled by the Juzek family who own Met Music today. 'Generally considered nice basses with a strong following and good resale value. The build quality varied due to a number of different production shops being used to meet the demand.

4. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    From just after WWII, there are some plywood, some hybrid with solid tops and plywood back and sides, LOTS of fine to great sounding all-solid woods instruments, especially the Wilfer made basses. Before WWII, lots of great sounding all-solid woods instruments from Germany and Czechoslovakia (bohemian). Wilfer tended to make the most expensive and fanciest versions of these basses.

groooooove and Sam Sherry like this.
  5. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    I have an old Juzek. Starting to fall apart, but it’s served me well and is well made.

6. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Use the search function. Theres a ton of info out there.

james condino likes this.
  7. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Check out the juzek club and post a photo!

8. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Labels are not as important in the DB world as with guitar instruments. If you post some good photos, we have some great resources here who will have specific observations about your bass.

Sam Dingle and salcott like this.
  9. Roger Mouton

Roger Mouton Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Southern California
    Koolfool - You might also ask Ken Smith about Juzek history. For whatever reason(s) he doesn't post much on Talk Bass, if at all. He has his own bass forum. You might want to look into it

10. Koolfool

Koolfool

Nov 27, 2014
    Last month I took my bass to a known luthier to refurbish. I'm getting a lot of work done. It's a Juzek, made in Chechslovakia. probably made by the Wilfers. The price for the work seems pretty reasonable.

When I told him that I wanted an adjustable bridge added, he quoted me around $ 500.

When I asked him why it would cost that much, he said that the area on the bass under the bridge would have to be reinforced, and he would have to cut the bridge fresh himself. He offered to straighten out my existing bridge for a nominal fee.

The work that I've contracted for, comes to about $900. I've paid him $500 to start the work.

I told him that I'd researched an adjustable bridge made by Palatino for $90, and if he could install that one. He told me that would be like buying a fish, taking it to a seafood restaurant, and asking them to fix it for me. This doesn't fit well with me. I feel like letting him finish the work I've already contracted for and taking the bass to another luthier for the bridge.

What should I do?

Please advise.

11. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    Pay the luthier. Cheap bridges are just that, and a decent bridge isn't a lot more than $90 anyhow. What you're paying for is the amount of skill, labor, and experience that goes into fitting it correctly - why start with a suboptimal bridge blank, which will only guarantee suboptimal results?

Steve Boisen and Ross Kratter like this.
  12. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    $500 is not out of line if he is good, it's well worth the price. It takes a lot of work and skill to fit and finish a quality bridge made of good wood. Your Juzek deserves fine components, not cheap junk.

DrayMiles and Mgaisbacher like this.
  13. Mgaisbacher

Mgaisbacher Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Between $350 and $600 is the going rate for an adjustable bridge not including if they have to do any other work to the top like you mentioned. $500 seems fair. That palatino bridge you mentioned is most likely inferior maple and would be more likely to warp and possibly break compared to what most any luither would use.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    dhm and DrayMiles like this.
  14. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    Auto mechanics, for one example, will generally not install owner supplied parts. I would think luthiers are the same.

15. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Do what the luthier told you.

Sam Dingle likes this.
  16. No luthier is going to stake their reputation on a customer supplied part, especially from a company known for churning out absolute crap.