1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1952? I Don't Think So

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark76, Aug 22, 2019.

1. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    cool bass but maybe he meant 1962

moonshinegtrs, DJ Bebop and Wisebass like this.
  2. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    BBQV, 2tonic and Gravedigger Dav like this.
  3. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Well, you have to use the time conversion utility to convert from Norway time to U.S. time. Because Noway is so cold they move more slowly so they are 15 years behind more temperate areas, so 1952 Norwegian is 1967 in U.S. time. If fact, notice that it says it was listed 6 months ago. You would think it isn't selling, but, again, using the time conversion, that means it was listed early this morning.

4. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    Metric time.

5. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Supporting Member

This is true. Time is different in Norway. Just a few years back (or last week), BergensBanen, a locomotive eye view of the 7:15:00 trip from Bergen to Oslo, was a smash hit on Norwegian TV.

6. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    The line says "year" - it doesn't say "year the bass was made". So, the guy who posted it put in a year. Nothing wrong with the listing - perfectly accurate ;-)

BillMason, Wisebass, 2tonic and 2 others like this.
  7. Biffa

Biffa SUSPENDED

Apr 16, 2019
    It's Serbo-Croat doofus

bassdude51 likes this.
  8. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Has anyone ever watched this entire video?
    If so, why?

9. Biffa

Biffa SUSPENDED

Apr 16, 2019
    What's Norway got to do with it, it's in Munster in Germany and the ads in German

10. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    Nothing like a good technicality

2tonic likes this.
  11. Because they need a break from the yule log.

12. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    It 's a typo?

Bill Wyman* played one of these!

He was Framus endorser.

greetings

Wise(b)ass

*edit: Bill Wyman not Ron Wood!!! Sorry!!! :sorry::sorry::sorry::sorry:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    2tonic, Alan Scharrer and giacomobass like this.
  13. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    It's all the same to us folks in Ohio. :laugh:

bassdude51 and 2tonic like this.
  14. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

how is it (framus) pronounced?

15. Real goofy looking tummy cut on that thing (neck plate isn’t much better).

16. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    Hey! :jawdrop:

:p

2tonic, gln1955 and Volker Kirstein like this.
  17. KOOL BREEZE

KOOL BREEZE

Dec 12, 2013
    Seattle
    Ron Wood or Bill Wyman?

Wisebass likes this.
  18. Framus were producing electrics in the 50s, but a solid-body like that would more likely be early 60s. There's not a lot of info on them as material vanished after they went under once similar quality and cheaper Japanese electrics flooded in. My guess for the "1952" from the seller is that it looks most like a Strato Star Bass and (s)he mis-read a catalogue model # 5/156-52, thinking "52" might have been the design year (which it wasn't).

Near impossible to get US instruments in the UK because of the post-war balance of trade deficit, push for exports and punitive luxury taxes so Italian, German and British instruments were fairly commonplace (I think The Beatles had Framus instruments early on, and I do know that The Shadows, Cliff Richard's band, had at least one).

I restored a WEM Rapier bass (the Ice Blue one here: Watkins Guitar World - Guitars - Basses) for a German friend and European electric guitars of the era are interesting. No truss rod (still straight, and I tracked down another neck that was also straight), the body was not routed but instead had a solid rear and a top with all the necessary cut outs, the two halves then glued, profiled and painted.

So that this doesn't develop into the kind of flame war that spoils my Youtube watching of WW2 plane vids, I shall quickly submit that I prefer Leo's take on the electric bass.

19. My German's a lot rubbisher than my Romance languages (fairly rubbish) but I believe it would be like Frarmus although in England (if seen, which wasn't often) I and people I knew pronounced it like "famous"

JRA likes this.