1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1952 Precision ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grrrr!!!!, Apr 24, 2010.

1. grrrr!!!!

grrrr!!!!

Jan 5, 2009
    Europe
    Hi,

I came across this 1952 Precision for sale:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've absolutely no idea as to whether it's the 1952 Fender that it's said to be, and am quite aware that it probably isn't, but it might just amuse someone.

Discuss. :D

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Weird collection of pictures. Where's some photos of the whole instrument, or say, a front view or neck view. It's like these are the backup pictures. It also looks so 'clean' that I'd want waaay more proof and info before I took that leap of faith.

3. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    ^ TDC.

Too.... errm.... clean. :)

4. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Some observations from someone who couldn't date a 52 Fender from a 92 Fender. Did they even have string-through bridges back then? With ferrules on the body, nonetheless? I thought all the "old Fenders" had that ugly two-saddle bridge with the grooves? The output jack looks recessed. Did they have that back then too? No overall shots? No headstock shots? Body looks like it's been refinned; I see some clear finish in the horns. Markings in the neck pocket look like my kid did them last week with a Bic ballpoint. Wait...this thread is a farce/fake/joke, right?

5. The 52 definitiely had a string through bridge. The size of the ferulles looks right for the period. The single screw hole for the finger-rest is also period correct, as is the pencil dating(both easily replicated). It does look exceptionally clean with little yellowing, so if it is real it is most likely refinnished. We do need more pictures. Most '52s have bakelite saddles on the bridge and the serial number will be stamped there also. We also need to see the pickup from the front to get a feel for the size of the polepieces. Also headstock and tuners are important to verification.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    +1.

The previous poster's points are incorrect. The things I see look authentic in terms of them having the right features, but there's not enough of this bass showing to really get a good idea, also, again everything (finish, neck pocket, back, pickup bottom) look too clean for my liking, unless this bass has sat untouched since about 1953.

7. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    What I see looks correct enough, including the typical Fender "router hump" by the neck pocket. That's something that gets overlooked on most copies, and often gets sanded out in refins.

Obviously, I'd want to see more and better pics of all the important parts. If it's real, it's super clean. Definitly want to see more pics though before making any kind of call on this one.

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    from everything shown it the supplied pics, it looks like the real thing. however, on a vintage '52, usually the finish is either faded or yellowed and there should be alot of finish 'checking'.

9. It has "52" written on it in pencil. That's very hard to fake.

10. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    how much are they asking for it?

11. BenGrim

BenGrim

Feb 3, 2010
    Bellingham, WA
    If it's real (and that clean), it deserves to be put in a museum.

12. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement Supporting Member

If you look closely at the first pic, you'll see where the finish is lighter under where the pickguard was mounted. )-(

13. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i just noticed that it has philips neck screws and IIRC every original '52 that i've seen had slot head screws, but Fender was in transition, going from slotted to philips neck screws in 1952 so it still could be original. looks like the pickup mounting screws are slot heads which would also be correct.

14. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    My 52 has philips neck screws, and philips screws on the control plate. But the pickguard and tugbar have flathead screws

15. grrrr!!!!

grrrr!!!!

Jan 5, 2009
    Europe
    Well someone felt confident enough to snap it up in less than an hour for 1600€. Or at that price, maybe they were just willing to take the risk.

16. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
  17. if it is fake, i think it looks like a pretty good fake.

18. grrrr!!!!

grrrr!!!!

Jan 5, 2009
    Europe
    Nice find. I guess it really is/was a '52 then. Hope it wasn't sold and that someone else realized and got it taken offline...

19. marchone

marchone

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    $28,000 now.

20. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    That dude's been trying to sell that bass for months. I think someone just stole that listing. Hey Grrr!!!, can you post the link where you saw the bass?