1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1954 Gibson EB1 replacement for a broken Tuner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by faivy, Sep 20, 2010.

1. faivy

faivy

Nov 23, 2004
    Montreal
    Hi All
    I picked up a 1954 EB1 all original, the only issue being a broken tuning machine. I tried to repair it but wasn't able. Does anybody have any idea where I can get a replica? Is it the same as a Firebird tuning machine?

2. Hi.

Congrats, that must be one hell of a bass.

How is the machine head broken? Almost anything can be fixed.

I doubt that the Firebird tuner will be the same and even if it was, at least the reissues are (were) next to impossible to find. And even if You find one, those POS pieces of pot-metal are next to useless even in a guitar.

How do I know?

I have a 90's Firebird that had one busted tuner. I repaired it, but all the other tuners are clicky, won't hold tune that well, have back-lash etc. as well. Kinda like on those $5 Fender open gear knock-offs.

My vote goes for repairing the original, that has to be better than the ones they sell nowadays.

Regards
    Sam

3. faivy

faivy

Nov 23, 2004
    Montreal
    I have it with the tech who does all my repair and he says the gears are broken as well as the shaft having come off. He tried to repair but hasn't been able to. I'm open to suggestion.
    I'm sure it will sound great when I get past this issue.

4. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Maybe some pics of the issue would help?

5. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Hit the internet to see if anyone might have an actual, still working, vintage Gibby tuner for that bad boy up for sale. If you do find one, it might cost you some serious coin as vintage parts aren't exactly cheap in most cases, unless you get lucky. As for a current modern production replacement tuner for that particular bass, I really don't know of any myself. That doesn't mean that there might not be one. I wish you the best of luck.

6. faivy

faivy

Nov 23, 2004
    Montreal
    I've hit Google for vintage parts with no luck.
    I'll try and take pictures tonight.
    Phil

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd love to see that. In 1969, nine years before I started playing bass, I wanted to buy one (re-issue at that time).

8. Hi.

If the casing and the base plate is still good, machining the gears is pretty straight forward job for a railway hobbyist or a miniature IC-engine hobbyist. You have to have some around Montreal. The shaft comes off when the gear detaches, so it may still be good as well.

Like others have said, pics will help.

I can measure my early 90's Firebird tuner for You later this week if that's any help, but like I said, I can't recommend 'em to anyone.

Regards
    Sam

9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
  10. faivy

faivy

Nov 23, 2004
    Montreal
    best picture I have now

Attached Files:

11. faivy

faivy

Nov 23, 2004
    Montreal
  12. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Well, I meant of the tuner, but that's ok. Sounds like you have a plan.

13. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    you might try here. I was able to get some hard to find gibson parts from him a while back.

http://classicax.com/

14. faivy

faivy

Nov 23, 2004
    Montreal
    Thanks, They have a 1-800 number. I'll call them today.

15. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Its a banjo tune.Most vintage dealers who deal in bluegrass should be able to help you.

g

16. faivy

faivy

Nov 23, 2004
    Montreal
    The lkiterature keeps referring to them as Banjo styleor type tuners so I've never been sure (not that familiar with Banjo) if they were actual banjo tuners

17. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Call George Gruhn Guitars in Nashville. They can help you.

G

18. faivy

faivy

Nov 23, 2004
    Montreal
    Great advise! I emailed him about an hour ago.
    The gears are pretty un-repairable. If I could find a replacement, I'd put it in the vintage housing.

19. faivy

faivy

Nov 23, 2004
    Montreal
    Here are 1 couple of pictures of the broken gears in the tuner.
    Open to suggestions so that I can keep it original

Attached Files:

20. Luckie

Luckie

Jan 1, 2010
    Northfield MN
    You might consider having a new tuner custom made by some metal fab people.
    (fab metal fab people. :D)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021