Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1955 E. H. Roth Carved-Top bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Henry, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Henry

Henry

Sep 26, 2002
    Flerda
    Proprietor of Superior Bassworks
    Hey, new guy here. I figured this would be the best place to ask.

I have a 1955 E. H. Roth Carved-Top bass that I love dearly, but the problem is, I play rockabilly/psychobilly, and am afraid I'm going to destroy it. I've seen a couple of these selling for 5 digits, and I'm wondering how reasonable that is. It's not in perfect condition, but definitely worth restoring.

So what's your opionion? Should I sell it, and get either an Englehardt(a blonde S-9..drool), or maybe a King Doublebass?

Or should I just keep playing the crap out of it?

Thanks in advance, Cory

2. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Buy the Swibngmaster and use that for Rockabilly. But keep the Roth and learn how to bow on it!

3. Henry

Henry

Sep 26, 2002
    Flerda
    Yeah, I thought about that, but if it is worth that much, I'd much rather have it in the hands of someone who would play it like it should be played.

It's a great bass, but.....

I hope no one thinks this is a classified ad.

4. Henry

Henry

Sep 26, 2002
    Flerda
    Anyone else?

5. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    What do you expect from us Henry ? Send the Bass Police to stop you from molesting that poor bass ?

Accidents aside, the worst thing that can happen to a bass is to be not played. Now, I don't know how much damage a daily dose of "ungentle art" can create, but it's better for the instrument to do your psycho-gig than to sit forgotten in the penthouse. Also, you guys like to be perceived as real tough, but maybe you're not that bad. Show the Roth babe to your luthier so you can discuss in detail the amount of abuse it really get... and take a decision based on facts.

6. uptonbass

uptonbass Proprietor, Upton Bass String Instrument Co.

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com
    I think your idea of a ply is a good one. From what I have seen of the rockabilly/psychobilly world, your carved bass won't hold up for too long. But then again, it depends how far you go on the psychobilly end of things...? And you did say the top is the only carved wood right? Over time a good ply will/may cost you less than the repairs on your Roth. Tell us.......what stunts do you pull.....if any? (With your bass)

My thought.......why do most guys playing your style stick with plywood?

7. Henry

Henry

Sep 26, 2002
    Flerda
    I think most rockabilly guys stick with ply because they're cheap.

No real point in spending #14,000 on a bass when all you're going to play on it is "boom, tick, boom, tick, tick"

As far as tricks I pull, mostly little stuff, like spins, and lifting the bass in the air with my right foot. I do wish the guitarist could climb up on it, but it just seems so fragile sometimes.