1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1956 American Standard Upright

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Harbst, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Dave Harbst

Dave Harbst

Sep 27, 2009
    First of all, I'm just getting interested in bass, so I know almost nothing about a bass. I've been a mandolin player for quite a while, but never tried the bass. I have an opportunity to trade a mandolin for a bass, but I'm not familiar with what the bass I'm interested in is worth. So far, this is what I've been told: It's a 1956 American Standard and has recently had all new hardware, a neck reset, new adjustable bridge, adjustable end pin, new tuners, new tailpiece and new strings. The guy who owns it is a bluegrass musician who plays professionally. He claims the bass is a "monster". Any feedback, good, bad or otherwise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
  3. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    you might try over at the double bass section, they know more than us young new fangled whipper snappers, with our fancy "pickups" and metal bridges. :D

no, but seriously, they will have more knowledge on doubles than us

4. Dave Harbst

Dave Harbst

Sep 27, 2009
    Thanks for the tip, vbass. I'm new here and haven't learned my way around yet. I'll try the double bass section.