Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1956 Fender Precision on EBay. Is this legit?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mcdeath, Sep 12, 2003.

1. 1956 Fender Precision

Is this thing legit? I'm kinda curious as I don't have the experience with vintage Fenders to make that determination. Plus there's the fact that the bidding is so relatively low for a bass, if it was legit, should be worth so much more.

ed

2. How you buy somneting as personalas an instrument witout laying your hands on it is beyond me...

Ebay is good for books, washing machines etc...

you might pick up a bargain, boy would you bet 1000 bucks on iT?

3. But I was rather curious about this as most vintage instruments tend to get bid quite a bit higher very quickly.

ed

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree usually, but I think in this case it isn't about an instrument you would play, but rather a collector's item that will accrue value and become some sort of an investment...

Nothing to do with music or bass playing at all! :rolleyes:

5. Well, at least they guy is trying to push it as a studio bass, for what it's worth:rolleyes:

6. did Fender really offer a natural finish on the first generation p bass?

I suspect it's a refinish- the wear on the body (hardly any) doesn't match that on the neck.

7. how is that a p bass it dosent have a p pickup

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    before 1957, all p-basses had a single coil pickup. That is the original kind of p-bass pickup.

9. Interestingly enough I emailed a guy for some additional pictures along with a very specific request for a snapshot of the front of the headstock (so the decal will show clearly). I got a bunch of pictures in my email, but none that shows the decal or the front of the headstock. For some reason there's a few of the back of the headstock, showing the tuners, but none of the front.

*shrug* I guess it's not my problem as I'm not bidding.

ed