1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1957 Fender Precision: $10k

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I popped this up in the Hot Deals section two weeks ago, and maybe nobody noticed. I saw that this guy posted this ad on CL again, so I decided to put it in Basses where it might get noticed by some well-heeled collector. Behold:

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/msg/576054918.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Man, that thing is hot. I'm not much of a vintage guy, but if I just had a spare $10k lying around...

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the seller whatsoever.

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

Given his lack of information, my best offer would be 100 bucks.

But, if it is infact a 57, it's a sweet bass, and a pretty fair price given what they go for. A well-worn '59 at my local Guitar Center listed for 9k. It was beautiful acoustically.

3. skaismyhero

skaismyhero

May 21, 2006
    Dayton Ohio
    My concern would be location. The pics are far away so you can't tell if there is water damage from katrina. But it looks sweet!

4. zenlowend

zenlowend

Jan 26, 2008
    I played a 59p that was 14,000.00 at GC...honstly guys...it sounded like S**T! It should have a sticker that says "to collect only". But then again who would buy a 50's J or P bass and actually use it!?! But it still sounded like S**T! :D

5. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    I would, If I buy a bass, im going to play it.. :) thats what its meant to have done to it. Not sit on a wall. Its not art its a instrument.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've considered contacting him just to have a look at it. Of course, I'd just be wasting his time.

Methinks he was a pretty brave man to set a $10,000 bass on a stool like that...

7. I love vintage basses but some of them are hacks

8. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

I'd loves me a 50's J bass! :cool:

9. Well, if somebody has one advertised I'd advise you to steer clear...they weren't made in the 50's!

10. lol, are you being sarcastic?

11. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    I've seen one! Bigfoot was playing it.

:cool:

12. I don't even think about basses that cost more than any car I own. :eek:

13. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Something doesn't smell quite right, but if it's legit and a player it's a good price, particularly if he's serious about OBO.

14. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

No, Leo was making them as early as 58 in his house! He was shaving down the P necks and rewinding the pups with wire from an old black and white television set....those things sound AWESOME! And they had REAL clay dots!