1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No longer available 1959 Fender Precision Bass - lowered price!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by bherman, May 4, 2019.

1. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Price:
    $5400
    Strings:
    Up for sale/feeler is a 1959 Precision bass that I have personally owned for the last 50+ years. I bought it when I was 12 years old, I'm now in my mid-60's and its been in my hands continuously for the entre time. When I bought it it had already been badly refinished - looked like a brush paint job. It's been refinished several times, most recently (maybe 7 or 8 yrs ago) Olympic White (poly finish). There were traces of white in the neck pocket and the body when stripped was a bad grain match, so I believe that the bass would have been solid color when new and not a good candidate for a sunburst finish. Virtually everything else is original - tone pot and capacitor replaced some years ago when it cracked, wiring between pots and pickups was repalced. neck refretted with nos vintage fret wire about 10 years ago, bone nut replacement when it was refretted. D string tuner was repaired many years ago (was that way when I got it). Comes with a non-original Fender case in good condition that I bought sometime in the mid-60's. Body is in fine condition, a few dings here and there but totally in closet queen condition.

I had a tort pickguard made a few years back as I thought it would look better than the original bronze guard (I've always loved tort and white basses). Both will be included - see photos. Both the pickup cover and ashtray are original and in great condition - stored in the case and hardly ever on the bass.

Neck is dated 3/59, which is just about when Fender switched to rosewood fingerboards, making this part of the last batch of maple necks to leave the factory. Serial number is 36073. Neck is in fine condition, 1 11/16" width at the nut with a slender profile. I did not pull the pickups to get serial #s but I can assure you that they've never been pulled or replaced.

Fantastic bass, lightweight, killer P bass sound like you'd expect. It's really a top-tier player grade vintage P bass (and I've played many, many old P basses over the years.) Anyone who knows P basses will agree that early 59s are the cream of the crop, as a transition year bass. It just sounds glorious, strung with Pyramid flats. I've also had pressurewounds on it and it growls.

I reserve the right to come to my senses and pull this before it sells. I know that there's the whole sentimental line of thinking about a bass that I've owned since I was a kid, and I totally get that and know that at some level, I'd miss it. But I also know that I don't get to take it with me to wherever I go when my time on earth is up, and I'd rather have some control about who gets it now rather than leave it to my kin. I'd really like to see this go into the hands of a touring pro who would appreciate the sound and feel of the 59 for what it is - its not a collectors bass to hang on a wall, and needs/deserves to be played. I'm playing upright bass 99.9% of the time these days and a lesser electric bass would meet my needs.

My asking price for this bass is now $5,400 or best reasonable offer shipped and insured to CONUS. After looking more closely at recent sales, I may have priced it too high initially. If there is no market for this bass at this time, I will likely keep it as I do not need to sell - just want to get it into a full-time player's hands. I will not ship overseas. I might consider the right P-style bass as a partial trade, but I am really only interested in a few basses - Pat Wilkins P Bass, Moollon Classic P4, nice GL LB100, maybe something similar, but P bass only.

Lots of pictures to follow - please pm me if you have specific questions, to keep this thread from getting too long. If anything comes up from a question that would be of general interest, I will post it.

IMG-1712 (1).JPG IMG-1718.JPG IMG-1737.JPG IMG-1730.JPG IMG-1711.JPG IMG-1731.JPG

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    R&B, mrb327, ICM and 9 others like this.
  2. bherman

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    A few more photos IMG-1743.JPG IMG-1743 (2).JPG IMG-1742.JPG IMG-1741.JPG IMG-1738.JPG IMG-1737 (1).JPG IMG-1735.JPG IMG-1717.JPG

ICM, toothguy, ajkula66 and 7 others like this.
  3. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    What a weird way to pass strings on the bridge saddles :smug::smug::smug:

4. Brutus74

Brutus74 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Ohio
    Beautiful

5. joker820

joker820 Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Sweet baby Jesus I might have to reallocate my bass budget. Just bought a second 63 P but this is calling to me. Hopefully it lasts a few weeks.

bherman likes this.
  6. bherman

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    I was asked for another direct frontal photo. Also, someone asked about the headstock - here's a closeup.

IMG-1745.JPG IMG-1746.JPG

Attached Files:

Willicious and toothguy like this.
  7. Oh, dear, this is my birth year and almost my birth month. If I had the cash lying around I would be sending you a message. I want, but I can't. GLWTS.

8. bherman

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Thanks! I imagine this will take a while for me to find a buyer. I could ship it off to one of the vintage dealers, but I'd much rather see it go into the hands of a TB member.

mrface2112, El Tookay and toothguy like this.
  9. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    Wow, the truss rod nut looks like it was never touched...!

10. bherman

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Oh it has - 1/2 turn to loosen in the spring/early summer and 1/2 turn back in the fall/early winter every year for seasonal adjustments keeps the neck in perfect shape.

ICM, El Tookay and joker820 like this.
  11. bherman

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Not getting much response on this - will keep the post up for another few days and if it doesn't sell, I'll pull it and try again in a few years. No rush to sell on my part, but I don't like to keep "for sale" posts open for a long time. So if you've been looking at this and are interested, shoot me a message and we'll see if we can work something out.

joker820 likes this.
  12. PrfctBss

PrfctBss

Nov 17, 2012
    New Jersey
    WOW .. i have 59P , but this is something special ... GLWS

Mpacificar and bherman like this.
  13. tbassist

tbassist Tony Black

May 1, 2010
    Waynesville NC
    i'm 6'6"
    I have a G&L LB-100 listed for sale here on Talkbass. Still can't make up the difference though

14. bherman

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    I hear ya - this bass would be killer for the stuff you are doing. If the P Bass sells, I may go for your LB. If it doesn't, I'll be totally happy keeping it until sometime down the road.

tbassist likes this.
  15. bherman

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Just a few more days until I pull this, so if you've been watching and are interested now is the time to contact me.

vgbassman likes this.
  16. bherman

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Taking this off the market. Lots of interest but nothing firm.

tbassist likes this.
  17. brichards

brichards

Dec 2, 2007
    do you still have the vintage bass for sale

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021