1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1959 Kay with C extension and new board for sale

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by jazzbass72, Feb 10, 2006.

1. jazzbass72

jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    1959 Kay M-1 for sale in Brooklyn, NY, as pictured below. Serial number: 41845. The previous owner had a C extension installed, plus a new thick ebony fingerboard. David Gage would charge you around $2k for those two jobs alone. Simply said, this is a plywood bass that sounds like a carved one. Beautiful dark finish, gorgeous loud tone, just like you’d expect from a Kay, but with much better definition. Clean bill of health, no problems of any kind, no repairs necessary. I have six upright basses now, and I need to let one (or two) of them go. However, you should snatch this beauty fast, before I change my mind and decide to keep it. The bass is priced at $3,600 (and worth every penny of it). Sorry, won’t accept lower offers. Located in Brooklyn, steps away from Prospect Park B/Q train stop. Bass doesn’t come with a case, but I have a heavy duty padded one I could sell for $100.

You can see and hear me play this bass here and here. For those of you who will be getting Eldar's upcoming CD/DVD "Live at the Blue Note" on Sony BMG...well, this Kay is the bass I've used for that recording.

I cannot arrange to ship the bass myself, so I am looking for a local buyer at this time. However, you are welcome to get in touch with local NYC bass shops like David Gage’s or Kolstein’s (preferably Gage, it’s closer!), and inquire how much they would charge for shipping the bass to where you live. I would be happy to bring the instrument to the shop and let them handle the shipping. I know they ship basses all the time, so they know what they’re doing. You can get in touch with me and ask me any questions you may have about the instrument by emailing jazzbass72 at hotmail dot com. If you’re in New York City, you’re welcome to check out the bass in person.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    I'm in no location to buy this bass but i must say it sounds fantastic.
    Your playing on it is superb adn high register command is awesome too!

Bump for a bass from a fantastic player!