1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1959 P bass question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by elgranluis, Apr 21, 2010.

1. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    Hiya guys. I recently came to own a 59 P. Haven't had the gut to plug her in yet (she plays amazing, just freaking stunning)!!!

Anyway, I have no doubt about the originality of the bass (slab board, clay dots, dated pots, sharp contours, etc), but I just noticed that the bass is missing the headstock strap button. It doesn't even have a hole at the back of the headstock. I mean, it never had a button in there.

Are there any other 59 owners out there that can tell me if their basses had a headstock strap button????

2. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Strap buttons weren't put on the back of the headstock till 60. Fenders' reissues are wrong.

3. Jason Brown

Jason Brown

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    Fender's '57 reissues are incorrect with their strap buttons on the headstock, but the '59s don't have them, just for clarity.

I'm envious, elgranluis. I'd love to get my hands on a real one.

4. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    your bass if genuine is correct without the button.

G

5. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Pics!!!!!!

6. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I had a 59 in my previous bass life (mid 70's) don't remember a strap button. Wish I still had it but sold it when I quit playing. 25 years later still have fond memories of that bass.

7. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    lol.. thanks for the answers guys. The oldest bass I owned (prior to this one) was a 64 or 65 p, and all the older ones I had seen before had the strap button.

And yes... the bass is the real deal lol. Pics coming this weekend!

And just as a side note. I've owned my share of 60s fenders (which I never really liked). Now I understand what all the fuss is about!!!!

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    FYI, the current slang for the button on the back of the headstock is the "Hootenanny button." :ninja:

9. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I can't wait to see pics of this beauty. *taps foot* :D

10. KNURRR

KNURRR

Oct 12, 2009
    Pics pls :)

11. What would a strap button on the back of the headstock achieve? strap it up like an acoustic guitar?

12. dmk

dmk

Jan 8, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Congratulations on your '59 P Bass. Could you do me a favor? Would you check the polarity of the magnets in the split pickup. Are the E, A magnets oriented with same polarity as the D, G magnets?

I'm trying to determine when Leo switched the magnet polarity from the same direction to reverse. Thanks.