1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

For Sale 1960 Kay near Chicago

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by BassFalcon, Jun 3, 2022.

1. BassFalcon

BassFalcon Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2020
    Price:
    $1100.
    Strings:
    For sale is a 1960 Kay M-1. Let’s get the flaws out of the way, there is a small crack in a ply on the top near the soundpost inside, and it is slightly sunken on the G-side as a result. Cosmetically, it looks like it spent 40 years in a public school system…because it did. It’s a player not a museum piece. Call it “mojo”. I’ve done my best to document this with photos so you know what you’re getting. I have owned this bass since ‘98 or ‘99, and it has been completely stable since then. Back then my high school orchestra director helped me get a scholarship to play in college, she knew I needed a bass, and the school declined to repair this one so she sold it to me instead of trashing it. The Cincinnati Bass Cellar carved me a custom bridge to match the odd curvature of the top and fit the soundpost, because in college I couldn’t afford the cost of the full repair. I took the bass to college and played it in the symphony, the wind ensemble, chamber music ensembles, the big bands, jazz combos, a little rockabilly, and a poor attempt at bluegrass. After college I played it in a semi-professional capacity and used it to teach. I went a while not playing it too much, but started to dive back in to double bass last year. My interests now are in joining the local community orchestra and focusing on solo repertoire. I love this bass, but it’s the wrong tool for that job. I need to move to a hybrid or full carved bass to get me where I want to be musically, so I have decided to move this bass along. The cracked ply is stable, as I mentioned, it hasn’t moved or gotten worse in the over two decades I’ve been wailing away on it, my proof of that for you is that the custom carved bridge that Cincinnati Bass Cellar made for it 20 years ago, is still in perfect shape making perfect contact with the top. It’s not a cheap repair, but the single cracked ply is repairable. The top would need to be removed and steamed back in to shape, a patch fitted and carved. I’ve had rough estimates put that type of repair around $1,800. I strongly considered getting the repair done, but as I mentioned it’s not the right tool for the musical job I want to do, so it makes more sense for me to move it on. So with my asking price plus the price of repair, it’s still coming in just under market value for a 1960 M-1. Or you can just take advantage of the bargain and keep playing it as I have. I believe the ideal buyer would be a jazzer, rockabilly, or bluegrass player. Someone looking to play primarily pizzicato. Someone looking for a durable bass for club gigs, or maybe, like I was when I got it, a student looking for a bargain. It’s a great bass and I think it still has many decades of service left in it. On to the good stuff;
    -the neck is well worn and it feels awesome. It has never been broken or reset.
    -gorgeous Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard and tailpiece.
    -high quality custom bridge with aluminum adjusters.
    -Newer Corelli strings, just put them on in February, plenty of life left in them. This bass seems to prefer lower tension string…or maybe it’s just that I do.
    -great classic plywood pizz tone.
    -probably the only Kay drilled for a Laborie endpin. 45 degrees straight back. (Endpin not included)
    -Pierre Joseph String Charger magnetic pickup included. Back in 99 when I needed a pickup for it, no piezo on the market back then sounded good to me on this bass, so I went magnetic.
    -Onyx Bass Wheel included
    -leather quiver included
    -no bag, cover or case included.
    -more pics incoming shortly 6E7ED4B9-6A74-4F7E-8F7A-EFA8BC06C2BC.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
  2. BassFalcon

Nov 18, 2020
    Forgot to mention, local Chicagoland sale only.

3. BassFalcon

Nov 18, 2020
    Some photos of the figuring on the sides, the back, and an inside view of the cracked ply just north of the soundpost.

B631D05E-E061-44BF-B391-9A5FA403E170.jpeg 8A1CCF74-AFFF-4C09-9E50-0CE37736BFB0.jpeg 1D234444-8736-4073-BA83-974A862C82B7.jpeg

4. BassFalcon

Nov 18, 2020
    Curvature in top on treble side EF5DA834-5977-4B6C-8C7D-45139ACD8D12.jpeg

5. BassFalcon

Nov 18, 2020
    FCA8FCAA-3CDA-4D51-9B89-0BCCA980918F.jpeg

Keyser Soze likes this.
  6. BassFalcon

Nov 18, 2020

Attached Files:

unbrokenchain likes this.
  7. BassFalcon

Nov 18, 2020
    In one of the above pics, the screws that hold the tuner gears are missing. I sourced new ones after I took the pic, and did a little artificial aging so they match.

Attached Files:

james condino and Mike Marshall like this.
  8. Someone could play this as it is the top doesn't look that bad mine was much worse

BassFalcon likes this.