SOLD 1960s/70s Fender Precision Bass Tort Pickguard

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by Turbocharbo, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Turbocharbo

Turbocharbo Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Price:
    Canada
    I'm selling an authentic vintage CBS-era Fender Precision tortoise shell pickguard. It's as old as 1965 which is the year they stopped using celluloid nitrate and started using celluloid acetate for the inner plies. I believe the outer ply is still celluloid nitrate. It's as young as 1974 which is the year they moved the thumb rest on the E-string side of the bass. If you have a P-bass from those years and it's missing the original pickguard then this is your chance to bring it back to its original glory!

I used to own an all original 1969 P-bass and the pickguard looked identical from this one I'm selling. If I had to take a guess, I'd say this pickguard was made sometime between '65 and '69:
    Fender Precision Bass 1965 - 1969 | Reverb

There's a small repair on the very bottom screw otherwise this pickguard is in good shape for its age. I've had this on my Precision bass (pictured and not for sale) and it always looked awesome. Please have a careful look at the pictures for condition and feel free to ask any questions.

The only partial trade I'm interested is in a pre-CBS tort P-bass pickguard. Free shipping in Canada and USA. I can also ship anywhere in the world at buyers expense, please contact me to work out shipping costs. Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    Bulltrout, brennanmcnally and Lowbrow like this.
  2. brennanmcnally

brennanmcnally Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Dang wish this were a Jazz guard! I'm looking for one for my '69. This is a sick one though, someone will be lucky to get it!

Turbocharbo likes this.
  3. Turbocharbo

Feb 16, 2005
    Just added a pic of it fitted to my bass!

4. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    I'd say it's post-'68. Anything from before wouldn't have that small stick-on foil shield, which replaced the full sized aluminum shield seen before mid '68.

Turbocharbo and moreblues like this.
  5. Turbocharbo

Feb 16, 2005
    That's great to know!

FranF likes this.
  6. Turbocharbo

Feb 16, 2005
    Updated the ad to include free shipping in Canada and USA.

7. Turbocharbo

Feb 16, 2005
    Sold, payment pending!

8. Turbocharbo

Feb 16, 2005
    SOLD!