1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1960's Jazz Bass for $650

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by baddarryl, May 2, 2010.

1. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    I know where one is for $650. I am assuming that any 60's Jazz is 10x worth more than that. As I know very little about them, how can I check it out and not get taken without giving away the idea that it may be worth much more? Says he paid $980 for it previously. I am looking on the web at logos and what not before I go. Looking like it might be a re issue or something. Logo indicated pre 68. Any help is appreciated. No specs on it, just 1960's Jazz Bass. I know it sounds unbelievable but I have found other unbelievable deals in this economy before.

2. Firstly: I would go in assuming it's a fake. Secondly, without pictures, it's obviously impossible to tell. Thirdly: if it's a decent bass that plays well, $680 isn't out much. Even if parts of it are that old, you could get your money back fairly quickly.

I would make him pull the neck and look for markings. I would also make him fork over the serial number and decode it before going.

Also, I'm no vintage Fender expert, but this all seems to be fairly common sense to me.

3. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    I love J basses but I don't know much about the vintage era basses. However, my bet is that it's RI. Even if it is, $650 probably isn't a bad price especially if the case is included.

4. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    one of the easiest ways to tell is pull the neck and or look up the serial on the fender website. and the easiest way to tell if its a reissue is look at where the truss rod is. is it down by the neck pickup? if so its probably older... if its on the headstock its more likely that its newer

5. baddarryl

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Here are the pics

6. Natropath

Natropath

Apr 13, 2010
    That's a Mexican Jazz Bass. An excellent bass worth about 300 bucks.

7. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It's a MIM Std

8. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    If thats a 60's Jazz i'll be a monkeys uncle.

9. baddarryl

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Yeah the more I look the more I think it is nothing special, I couldn't see a made in mx or anywhere on the headstock which got me thinking. Never REALLY looked at the vintage ones till now. Definitely not, sorry for the stupid post guys.

10. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    notice the mz in the serial number? that means its mexican made. solid instrument but not worth 650$. i would pay in the 200 to 300$ range for it. The guy is an idiot if he paid 980 for it.

11. baddarryl

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Well there are also rip off artists on CL too. There is a supposed Les Paul for $350 claimed to be $800 new, but is is a $160 Epiphone! Cuidado!

12. baddarryl

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    You have better eyes than me!

13. yeah. either he's dumb or a con artist. It's not a stupid post. It's a post that saved you ~$400 and head/ heart ache.

14. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I tend to stay away from craigslist when it comes to buying guitars and basses for that same reason. some guys in portland were trying to sell a dean eab acoustic electric bass for 300$. musicians friend sells them new for 150$. reason for the almost double price hike. it comes with a gig bag...

15. baddarryl

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    At the same time I have scored viscous deals on CL like a mint Ric 4003 for $500 and an SWR Goliath II for $80! So I always hold out hope!

16. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    I would have posted the same thing. Its a money saver to ask some one who knows.

I love the classified ads that read "Got an old bass, i dont know anything about them so the first 50$ takes it." I have made a bunch of money from those ads! I would keep looking!

17. baddarryl

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
  18. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    Nevermind. Forget what I said.

19. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    60's jazz bass is a model term, it does not mean it was made in the 60's. It's an MIM bass. $650 was most likely what he purchased it for new if he's the original owner. See if he will come down on the price. You should be able to pick up an MIM bass for around $300-$400.

20. This is not a MIM 60's Jazz Bass. It is a Standard. Most likely the owner paid $450 for it.